* Is Family Historian easier to use than FTM?

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
jaisonriver
Family Historian: V6.1

Is Family Historian easier to use than FTM?

Post by jaisonriver »

I have been using FTM for 8 years. And for 8 years I have not liked it. Most of my information is replies to letters I've written and actual searches in archives. There is very little online for my family. Would I have to start a tree from scratch or could I download my existing information? How?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Is Family Historian easier to use than FTM?

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
As this is a question about Importing from FTM I have moved it to the Importing and Exporting Forum.

Many FTM users have successfully migrated their family tree to FH semi-automatically, and those users will no doubt provide any assistance and advice where needed.
However, your imported tree may need some manual 'tweaking' to resolve minor incompatibilities.
See how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) for details, which is one of the topics reached via how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.

BTW: If you need help finding online records for your family then please post your 'brick-walls' in the Research Forum, and we will do our best to assist.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
victor
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Is Family Historian easier to use than FTM?

Post by victor »

I have been using FH since it was first released.
I also have FTM and use that to find other information.
From time to time I copy my tree from FH to FTM. FH is always the primary tree
The usefulness of FTM is that it provides links to other peoples trees and lots of other information like census, army records, BMD, electoral rolls, etc
I have noticed FTM has made improvements to access other information. It is now under new ownership and to access this information one needs to subscribe to Ancestry

Victor