* Gedcom Export Without Notes and Sources

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
DonC
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Gedcom Export Without Notes and Sources

Post by DonC » 03 Jan 2018 17:34

Hi:

I am testing 6.2 with the notion of purchasing. I am wanting to prepare a gedcom for export which does NOT include any notes or sources. I am struggling to find a way to do this. When I click all the options to exclude in the dialogue box for export, the software still includes my conventional notes. Can you tell me what I am missing?

Thanks

PeterR
Megastar

Re: Gedcom Export Without Notes and Sources

Post by PeterR » 03 Jan 2018 17:47

The Split Tree Helper… on the File menu has an option to "Delete all note fields within records". I presume you've already used the Export option to exclude Note Records.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)

DonC
Silver

Post by DonC » 03 Jan 2018 18:05

Hi:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have already tried the export function several different ways. Thanks for the pointer to split tree helper. I will give that a try.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 03 Jan 2018 18:37

Welcome to the FHUG Don.

Be careful to only use the Split Tree Helper on the exported GEDCOM file and not your original Project.

If it is only certain sensitive Notes that need to be excluded, then enclose them in [[double square brackets]] and the Export > GEDCOM File option to Exclude the [[private]] notes will work. It also helps in other scenarios such as printed Reports that have a similar option.

There are comprehensive guidelines for exporting in Knowledge Base > Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media.

As a newcomer I advise you study Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

DonC
Silver

Post by DonC » 03 Jan 2018 18:47

Hi:

Again, thanks for these cautions. I will review the links you suggest. As a new person, it is a bit overwhelming to determine exactly where to look, so the direct help and pointers are much appreciated.

Don