* The words "Attribute Value" appear in my TNG results

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
mardler
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

The words "Attribute Value" appear in my TNG results

Post by mardler »

Not sure this is a FH problem or a TNG one, but only my usage of FH has changed recently.

If you go to my TNG website http://howesfamilies.com/getperson.php? ... ee=Onename you can see that under the marriages, the witness names are preceded by "Attribute Value:" I've not noticed it before and a co-researcher who uses the site regularly just spotted it this morning. So I suspect that it's a result of a recent change.

My usage of FH has changed in that I bought a new computer and new version of FH last week.

Can anyone help me understand, please, what has happened to make this text appear and, even better, how to make it go away?
Thank you in advance for any help you can be
Paul
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: The words "Attribute Value" appear in my TNG results

Post by tatewise »

Happy New Year Paul.

How did you migrate FH from old PC to new PC?
Did you follow the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide?

How do you export your FH Project to TNG?
Do you use the Export Gedcom File Plugin?
If so, I presume you have used that since migrating to the new PC?
Have you checked the Plugin settings are set correctly for TNG as that Attribute Value: label is only used for other target products.
I am guessing, but I assume your Witness facts are Custom Attributes with the Name as its value, and whereas TNG allows all facts to have values, some other products do not.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mardler
Gold

Post by mardler »

Hello Mike. Looks like I moved the file over the wrong way, but you had guessed that already! I copied everything to a massive thumbdrive and ported it across, in significant part because of a sudden failure of the touchpad on my old laptop, other parts (sound, video, half the RAM!) having previously given up the ghost.

Anyway, almost everything worked - probably because the software on old and new computers was bang up to date and my file, though big, is very simple with no external links other than web URLs and no images. I just had to fix a couple of setting changes I had previously made: like disabling the automatic date-ordering and using UTF-8 not UTF-16.

One thing I did try was to find the TNG export plugin program I had used before, but I couldn't locate it. All I found when I searched for TNG among plugins was one called "Export Gedcom file". Does the old plugin still exist and can I use it? That was very quick and simple to use, right up to Dec 20 or so. Perhaps I have screwed up a setting in the new export plugin?

So sorry if I have screwed up somewhere! I am almost as busy as you and just assume something works like it did last week, until it doesn't!
All the best for 2018
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paul, if you can run the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin on old PC, move the backup to new PC, and run the Plugin on new PC to restore the backup, as explained in the Migration Guide, then all your Plugins, etc, will be exactly as they were before.

Failing that, copy the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder from old PC to new PC, and that will cope with most things.

Unfortunately the old Export Gedcom to TNG Plugin is no longer in the Plugin Store (although I do have an archive copy), but if you use the Export Gedcom File Plugin and set the GEDCOM Export Mode for (TNG) The Next Generation you should get much the same results as before. I suspect you did not choose TNG but used the default (Std) Standard GEDCOM 5.5 mode, which would explain the Attribute Value labels.
mardler
Gold

Post by mardler »

Thank you SO much, Mike. I'll take a crack at what you suggest
Paul
mardler
Gold

Post by mardler »

Thanks again, Mike. The errant phrase has now disappeared. Marvellous.
May I ask another question, please? The output file appears to have generated a 113-line report, some of which appear to be errors or at least warnings, which appears as an additional query window. Where can I learn more about this report and whether i need to do anything with the items reported? Thanks much
Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As with many of my Plugins, it has a cunningly named Help & Advice button.
That provides multiple help pages and one is for the Result Set.
Essentially it lists the conversion rules used by the Plugin to transform your FH GEDCOM into a TNG compatible GEDCOM file.

There is also advice under Output Formats specifically for TNG including recommended TNG import settings.
That page also explains how Plugin settings can be adjusted to export various features in different ways.