* Custom fact sentences

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Custom fact sentences

Post by E Wilcock »

This question related to users who are converting TMG Projects - But is more general.

The UK edition of TMG had multiple census facts (Tags in TMG), offering a Tag for each census year. (This was to allow report output of the most likely census entry for each census year, since users could selecting a primary Tag entry for each census year.)

Coming into FH these year specific census tags are defined as unknown and the Narrative report sentence defaults to "experienced" Census etc.

By creating a custom fact in FH for e.g. Census 1841 one can rewrite the output sentence. But am I right in assuming that for sentence purposes, FH lists every Fact twice? Once for a one person subject and the other for plural subjects?

Does one create two custom facts for any fact that might be shared by a married couple for instance?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Custom fact sentences

Post by tatewise »

There are a number of issues raised in that question.
  1. TMG UK Census Tags
    There is special advice for these in how_to:import_from_tmg#correct_problems|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) > Correct Problems. To avoid the FH Custom Events that get imported, the advice is to use the TMG Tools > Master Tag Type List and set the GEDCOM export as Tag: CENS for each one. Alternatively, you can use the FH Change Any Fact Tag Plugin to change them en masse to the standard CENS Event.
  2. Fact Narrative Sentences
    The TMG concept of one or two Principal subjects does not exist in FH. Instead it uses the GEDCOM concept of Individual Facts and Family Facts. Individual Facts such as Birth, Census and Death are linked to an Individual record. Family Facts such as Marriage and Divorce are linked to a Family record, which in turn is linked to up to two Individual records who are the spouses/partners. The Family record also links to any child Individual records.

So each Fact only needs one Sentence definition. Individual Facts talk about the Individual by using the code {individual}. Whereas Family Facts talk about the couple by using {individual} married {spouse/her/him}, which automatically adapts for either Individual linked to the Family record..
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to add if you would like to use shared facts for Census (once 6 is released) you can using Witnesses, The fact can be owned by the Head of the household and other members added as witnesses (with supporting sentences). It is also possible to add the principles with roles if you want to.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you for the advice on import. I am not at this point struggling to import my data. I am experimenting with FH using a TMG Project which I imported many years ago. This is not a current TMG to FH import issue.

Using the menu Tools, Working with fact sets, I can now see that Facts normally shared (Divorce, Engagement etc) are coded red, and individual Facts are coded blue. The Census fact appears twice, once blue but again as Census (family) coded red and with a different sentence.

My non standard UK census Facts have all been imported and show up when I ask to see hidden Facts. I then get the opportunity to create custom Facts, with a meaningful sentence. Each has come in twice (once as individual and once as Family facts) and it never entered my head to abandon them in any move to FH.

Is there any reason you are suggesting new UK customers strip them out?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I cannot explain why the TMG import created both Individual Facts and Family Facts, unless there were two Tags defined in TMG for each Census Year.

The reason to strip them out is to import them all as Standard GEDCOM CENSus Events, which are more widely supported, and have specific Reports for them in FH.

The Plugin I mentioned can alter the custom Facts into Standard ones easily.

[P.S. EDIT: There are also many Diagram Text Schemes, Queries, Reports, Plugins, etc, that only work with the Standard CENSus Events.]
JohnJ_au
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Post by JohnJ_au »

Hi Jane - in this thread you say
It is also possible to add the principles with roles if you want to.
Can you explain how to add a role for a principal?

Thanks ... John
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Mike - I don't believe it is the import process creating the Census (Family) as I also have this in my FH Standard Fact Set. It is fully completed in terms of settings (viz. Label, Fact Set, Template, Normal Time Frame, etc), whereas the Custom Facts that are created as part of the import (from TMG) don't have this and, as E Wilcock describes, have a template that refers to ".....experienced Census".

Personally, I have gone down the suggested route of changing the Gedcom Tag in TMG to "CENS" and find that works okay, but doubt I would use the Census (Family) as I can't really see any benefit in using this over the Individual Census fact. That said, I am still tinkering with data / settings before I undertake the final import of data, so I may change my view on this!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Brent, you are correct that the rarely used Census (family) fact is Standard, and nothing to do with importing, but E Wilcock said:
My non standard UK census Facts have all been imported and show up when I ask to see hidden Facts. I then get the opportunity to create custom Facts, with a meaningful sentence. Each has come in twice (once as individual and once as Family facts) and it never entered my head to abandon them in any move to FH.
It is that duplication I cannot explain.