* WikiTree GEDCOM import

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
WAPO
Gold
Family Historian: V6

WikiTree GEDCOM import

Post by WAPO »

Hi
Just returning to my family tree work after an absence. I hace a project of around 3000 records and when researching found a GEDCOM to attach to my tree. The GEDCOM has links to Wiki but on import does not insert any images. I realise this is due to the images being on Wiki and not my computer. Looking at a similar issue with Ancestry and the Roots Image solution, I cannot use that for Wiki. I have begun to manually get the images - a long process - and have a question as to whether there is an automated solution to the problem? Secondly, the downloaded images are in the Media folder of the project and using Mike's check and repair image links to draw in the images to the project, I am getting an error:
"[String 'CProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\...]:190: attempt to concatenate local 'file' (a nil value). No changes made etc."
Perhaps you could help me with this Mike.
Many thanks

Martin
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: WikiTree GEDCOM import

Post by tatewise »

Hi Martin,
I suspect there is no easy solution to bulk download Media from an online product. They all pose the same problem.
As a matter of interest, which "Wiki" is it?

The Check and Repair Media Links plugin is getting past its best before date and was last updated 6 years ago.
It has effectively been superseded by FH V6 tools and I don't think it would solve your problem anyway.

You say you have downloaded images into the Media folder of the Project but it sounds like you have not linked them to any Media records within the Project GEDCOM file.
I suspect that the GEDCOM you have acquired has Media records with URL webpage links to the Wiki.
It is going to be tricky to adjust those URL to become file paths that refer to the Media folder.

However, it might be that the Search and Replace plugin can come to the rescue.
Please post some representative samples of the URL links and maybe I can explain how the plugin can convert them.
What will be crucial to any form of success is whether the URL include suitable filenames for the images.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
WAPO
Gold

Post by WAPO »

Hi Mike
Thanks for a speedy reply. I had a feeling downloading images was an issue. I tried a few pieces of software without success and a VBA code in Excel but all gave errors.
The GEDCOM was from WikiTree. The links to images in the project that are the issue are:
https://www.WikiTree.com/wiki/Image:Stewart-1526-1.png (Other image types are involed: jpg etc.)
I looked at the built in search and replace but it does seem to allow a solution. Your expertise would be appreciated.

Once again my thanks
Martin
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

The only possible way of bulk downloading media files would be an FTP service but that is unlikely.

You cannot use the built-in Edit > Find and Replace... command as it does not cover the Media record File link field.
You must use the Search and Replace plugin from the Plugin Store.
See plugins:about#downloading_and_using_plugins|> Downloading and Using Plugins for details.

I will assume that every File link starts with https://www.WikiTree.com/wiki/Image:
Hopefully, the downloaded media file will have the filename Stewart-1526-1.png and similarly for every other case.

Use Tools > Plugins and Run the Search and Replace plugin.
On its Major Options tab set Search Scope to Multimedia Records (OBJE)
On its Extra Filters tab ensure that only Multimedia Linked File fields & Media files is ticked.
On its Major Options tab under Search Criteria
Set Search : to https://www.WikiTree.com/wiki/Image:
Set Replace : to Media\

Click the Search & Replace button and check each replacement looks OK.
Eventually, untick Confirm every item found and Replace the remainder.
You will get a Result Set at the end of all the changes.

Hopefully, for the images you have downloaded they will appear in the Media records, etc.
So you only have to download the remainder!
But if things do not look right then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH to revert the changes.

There are other tips associated with downloaded GEDCOM but they can wait until the Media are sorted out.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
WAPO
Gold

Post by WAPO »

Thanks Mike

That did the trick in stripping the links!
Now only 1234 images to download...

Will get back when eventually all are in place and update whether all worked.

Once more thanks
Martin