* Viewing 1921 Census Address

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Viewing 1921 Census Address

Post by E Wilcock »

I would like some advice on using the 1921 census please.
I have paid to see the household images of 3 of our grand parents' households.
The address at the time of the census is not given on that main list image. It is on the previous page image.
Does this mean one has to pay twice for every 1921 entry one would like to record?
RS3100
Superstar

Re: Viewing 1921 Census Address

Post by RS3100 »

If you click on the "Extra Materials" button displayed above the filmstrip when viewing the main census form image on FMP, you get access to the "Front" image which contains the address, the "Cover" image which has the Piece Number, RD, SD and ED on it, and usually a district map associated with the entry. They can all be downloaded as part of the original payment, i.e. for no additional charge.

You can't find them by trying to return to the original image through "My Records" though. You will have to repeat the original search and click again on the relevant main image, which should have a tick against the image icon.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

No you just have to click the Extra Materials, address is on front.

RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

David, that's what I said. But if the OP didn't access the extra materials at the time she originally viewed or downloaded the main image, the only way back to them is to repeat the search. Revisiting the main image through "My Records" only offers a file download of the main image again, or it did when I tried it earlier, so it doesn't take you back to the image view with the "Extra Materials" button.

You don't have to pay again to revisit an image you have already purchased though.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you very much. I wil give this a go tomorrow.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you for your guidance. I have now got the cover and address image without paying an additional fee.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

RS3100 wrote: 07 Jan 2022 19:09 David, that's what I said. But if the OP didn't access the extra materials at the time she originally viewed or downloaded the main image, the only way back to them is to repeat the search. Revisiting the main image through "My Records" only offers a file download of the main image again, or it did when I tried it earlier, so it doesn't take you back to the image view with the "Extra Materials" button.

You don't have to pay again to revisit an image you have already purchased though.
We posted roughly the same time, mine was later as I added the screenshot which took a few moments! The view record icon next to the camera takes you to the transcription (if you purchased it I guess - I did, so cannot say what happens if one hasn't). I copy the link in the address bar and save that as part of my source citation (I know links sometimes change but for the most part it works; I save it as active link which gives me direct access to the image should I want to review it. I also download it naturally.)
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We are clearly not the only people struggling with this, and the FMP viewer has now been updated to show specifically where the address is...
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.7 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
Mark Draper
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

They have also altered the behaviour of the camera icon in My Records. It now takes you back to the FMP viewer and filmstrip, from where you can access the additional materials if you neglected to do so originally. Previously, it would only offer to download the original image to your device.