* Surname changes

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
j9sunny
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Surname changes

Post by j9sunny »

Hi all,
Once again I am looking for some opinions - I think this is the right place to post my query.
It's about name changes (not by deed poll/marriage etc).
Basically, how do I record them on FH??
I have the name 'TALLACK' in my tree from Cornwall which goes back several generations.
However, now it seems that the TALLACK family were also intermittently known as the RETALLACK (RETALLICK) family.
The Parish Records flip from one to the other and the census record between 1881 and 1891 shows head of the house as TALLACK and then RETALLICK.
I know I could write a note for each mention but wondered if there was a recognised style?
Thanks
Janine
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Surname changes

Post by tatewise »

As far as possible, ensure that any online transcriptions accurately reflect the original document images.
The online transcriptions are notorious for mistakes. I have reported several FMP errors recently.
Your Source records should hold accurate transcriptions in the Text From Source.
The Note field can explain your assumptions about 'unusual' spellings bearing in mind that most documents were written by registrars and enumerators from word of mouth, and so often contain verbal transliteration errors. That applies to forenames as much as surnames and includes nicknames.

In the Primary Name field of Individuals enter your best interpretation of the birth/baptism name.
If other names are significant, then put them in the Alternate Name field(s) so they appear as AKA in Diagrams & Reports.

Whatever you decide to do, the main thing is to be self-consistent.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Thanks for the reply - I'm still working on a system which will make sense to me in the future!
I have been looking at original records so I know for sure that the family fluctuated and, in some cases, siblings chose different surnames. I suppose the obvious way is to use their birth surname and then bracket when it changes.
Onwards and upwards..
Janine
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure what you mean by "and then bracket when it changes".
Certainly, start with their Primary Name set to their birth name as shown on birth/baptism records.

Take care to be sure that the people themselves chose different surnames as opposed to registrars and enumerators writing down what they thought the people said their surname was.
e.g. I would treat RETALLACK, RETALLICK, RETELLACK, etc, as the same name.

Add other names as Alternate Names, which can have Source Citations referring to the parish or census records that use that other name. Do you need advice about entering Alternate Names and Source Citations for them?
They are accessed via the more (+)... link on the Main tab.
It is possible to display those Alternate Names directly on the Main tab if you wish.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Opinions will differ on how to record variants in surnames. My own view is that there are two types of variants and no clear way to be certain which types you're looking at :( Therefore I'd not sweat the details too much!

My classic case of a changing name is what I usually record as my "Healow" ancestors. That name gets written in the parish registers with all sorts of spelling variations - "Healah", "Helow", "Helowe", "Healer"... etc. To begin with, I carefully recorded each variation as a secondary name until I eventually decided that I wasn't recording anything about my relatives - I was actually recording details about how good various English parsons were at understanding a Cheshire / Staffordshire accent. So I just used "Healow" for all their names and didn't bother with the spelling variants as secondary names or anything, except that the transcripts of the sources contain both the actual spelling and the standardised form that I'm interpreting it as.

I also tried to record spelling variants on a Shared Note to help with further enquiries.

However, at some point in the proceedings - possibly as literacy grew and people got used to writing their name in censuses - the spelling of the name morphed to "Heler". (I think the pronunciation never really changed - I think it's "Healer"). That big a change, taken up by (so far as I can see) all family members is worth recording, so from that point on, the Primary Name becomes "Heler", with those on the divide having "Healow" as a Primary and "Heler" as a Secondary.

Of course, how do you tell the difference between a parson's spelling variant and a general shift? Tricky - so don't worry too much about it, just do what seems useful, making use of the Primary and Secondary names but also (I suggest) not bothering to record minor vowel shifts. For what it's worth "Tallack" and "Retallack" seem sufficiently different as to be worth recording as Primary and Secondary (in some order) but, like Mike (I think) I'd not bother recording both "Retallack" and "Retallick".

Sorry if that's a bit long on principles and short on details but I'm trying to persuade that 100% detail just isn't worth it, even if it were possible.
Adrian
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Thanks Mike and Adrian,
Yes, I often come across name changes which are clearly mis-spellings etc and don't fret too much, just make a note.
And in answer to Mike's question about alternate names, I have used that for a dodgy great-granny who might have been a bigamist!
This is slightly different because it looks like there was a distinct decision among a few members of the family to alter names from Tallack to the Retallack variants and they then headed off to USA, Canada and Australia. The Tallack side headed to Portsmouth as shipwrights.
Many thanks again for your suggestions.
Janine