* Histpop

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Histpop

Post by gwilym'smum »

Good morning,
In the past I have used the very informative site www.histpop.org but just recently it has let me in to the first page but when I try and search it says "the site is busy try again later". At first I thought it was just that particular time but this has been going on for quite some time.
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem with the site please?
Stay safe
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Histpop

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it does seem a bit intermittent, and after persisting lets me in sometimes.
Their Contacts page says: "If you encounter any difficulty when using this website ... please tell us by ... sending an Email to help@ukdataservice.ac.uk
So perhaps drop them a line to inform them of the problem.

BTW: I tried both Firefox and Chrome with the same results.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Yes,
This web service is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
I think it had a phase of this behaviour a while ago - persistence seemed to get me what I wanted, eventually.
Adrian
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you for the reassuring information, it isn't just me!
I will have to try again
Ann
Martin Tolley
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by Martin Tolley »

I mailed Histpop the other day, asking about their persistent busy problems. I received the following reply which explains things and may provide some solution:
"Histpop is now in its thirteenth year of activity and whilst it is an invaluable resource to many researchers, we unfortunately have not received any funding for it since the Online Historical Population Reports (OHPR) project closed in March 2007. We therefore do not have the resources to improve our server capacity in correlation with the increased demand, although we do try our best to keep the servers running.
One of the actions we have taken to relieve some of the strain on the original server is to introduce a secondary location for the service, which can be found here: http://www2.histpop.org However, this second site does not contain all the material that the original site does, and so you may find that what you are looking for is only included on the original site you provided.
We have just rebooted the Histpop server so you should find that it begins to work more smoothly in a short while. If it doesn’t please let us know and we can do it again."
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Martin
Thank you for that. Hopefully be able to find my information
Ann
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks for that info, Martin. I have bookmarked the alternate site though it might be a bit dodgy if I can't find something - is that because it's not in either Histpop or not in Histpop2... Hmmm

Regrettably this is the sort of thing that happens with a university free-site - people may remember the Directories site from Leicester(?). It had to be replatformed but the new site was nothing like as easy to use. Fortunately for me, the stuff all appears to be on Ancestry. Such priorities are inevitable...
Adrian