Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Old research notes

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
Hope all are safe and well.
As many are, I am trying to use my time productively. I am embarking on an attempt to synchronize my paper files and Family Historian. As I have had FH from when it came out I have lots of different ways of entering information as I learned as I went along. One thing I do have is a tab "research". For some of the ancestors whom I haven't "visited" for some time there are notes about conducting future research and possible routes to take. On reading through I have obviously covered those and found further information.
Just out of interest what do other members do with these notes - delete them or keep for future reference in order to show your routes to the answers?
I haven't put my query in the main body as it is only really by way of discussion and not an urgent question.
Hope everyone manages to stay well.
very best
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Old research notes

Post by rfj1001 »

I have added a Research field onto the Main tab for an individual that does roughy the same thing. I also have a flag that I set when I come across ambiguous or potentially wrong information that needs to be investigated further. The flag shows up as an icon against the person on the family tree diags which is a great visual reminder for me to take care when I'm working on that part of the tree. Once the research is complete or the ambiguity sorted, I'll delete the note and/or reset the flag.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the research followed well-trodden conventional lines of investigation then there is little point in keeping it as the Source Citation details should be enough.
If it involved unusually awkward searches in out of the ordinary repositories, then make sure the clues are retained somewhere, but probably best in the Source Citations somewhere such as Notes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you for your thoughts. Both eminently logical and will include them in my "spring cleaning"
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I keep them as it shows the routes to an answer -- if something contradictory turns up unexpectedly I don't have to remember why I chose (e.g.) George Brookes baptised 1835 in Clifton-cum-Glapton rather than George Brookes birth register 1837 in Long Eaton. If somebody asks me how I made a judgement, I have my research notes to fall back on.
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you Helen, I think that is why I still have so many! :D
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I don't see any need or value in deleting them -- it's not as if they slow FH down; and if they're marked private they don't show up when you share stuff.