* www.old-maps.co.uk is closing

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

www.old-maps.co.uk is closing

Post by dewilkinson »

I came across this message this morning, and as I make a lot of use of these historic maps it is bad news. There is nothing about a replacement OS service. There are other sites with historic maps but I have felt this was the most comprehensive.
Old Maps.jpg
Old Maps.jpg (261.72 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
smoothster
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Re: www.old-maps.co.uk is closing

Post by smoothster »

Hi David,

Wish I'd known about this site.
However, try https://maps.nls.uk/ the National Library of Scotland site. A quick look just now showed results for London so it's not restricted to Scotland although the list of historic town plans is heavily biassed towards north of the border.

Hope this helps,

Smoothster :)
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: www.old-maps.co.uk is closing

Post by dewilkinson »

I have used this site for many years and I am busy capturing some screen images of the most important maps for family history and my railway modelling. I am aware of the National Library of Scotland site but don't find it anywhere near as useful. I have emailed OS to see how I can access these maps on-line in future, but no reply to date. If anyone knows of any other useful old map sites I would be eternally grateful.

David
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them