* gedcom files and ipad

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
ruthhenrietta
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

gedcom files and ipad

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Can anyone recommend an app which I can download my FH gedcom file to so I can view on ipad (don't want to edit it, just look at it)?

ID:6563
PeterR
Megastar

gedcom files and ipad

Post by PeterR »

The best app I've found is Gedview.  There are several relevant threads in FHUG which you can find by searching for Gedview.  It's not free, but I think it's pretty good value (no connection with the author, by the way!).
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

gedcom files and ipad

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Great - thanks
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

gedcom files and ipad

Post by Dagwood »

I notice when using Gedview that some information is missed out eg dates missing and names truncated. Apart from that it has been an excellent means of viewing the Gedcom file albeit with limited diagram capacity inasmuch as the only diagram I have been able to create is a limited ancestor diagram .
I save my Gedcom file/project to Dropbox and this ensures that when using my Dropbox app on the iPad Gedview opens the latest file available.
Dagwood
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

gedcom files and ipad

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Following advice, have downloaded GedView app (and yes, easy to save file in dropbox and then import)... what's disappointing is the really restrictive family tree diagrams. I assumed there were settings to change no. of generations etc., but no. There's a gap in the market for an app which can show comprehensive diagrams - or GedView should make some changes!! What's great is the interactivity re. weblinks, maps etc.
David_Lewis
Famous
Family Historian: V5

gedcom files and ipad

Post by David_Lewis »

I have used Gedview but I now also use the ancestry app. You don't have to subscribe to ancestry.com to use it.

I uploaded the gedcom file produced by family historian to the ancestry website and then looked at it using the app.

You can also upload more than one tree as well.

I've got over 1000 people in my personal family tree and over 12000 in my descendents of the electress Sophia tree. Ancestry copes with both of them without any problems.

Another really useful feature of the ancestry app is that it keeps coming up with hints to help you extend your family tree.
Dagwood
Superstar

gedcom files and ipad

Post by Dagwood »

David_Lewis said:
I have used Gedview but I now also use the ancestry app. You don't have to subscribe to ancestry.com to use it........

Another really useful feature of the ancestry app is that it keeps coming up with hints to help you extend your family tree.
That's really interesting David I must try that. But surely the hints won't reveal info unless you are a subscriber, in the same way as when using Ancestry without logging in as a subscriber on a pc?
Dagwood
David_Lewis
Famous
Family Historian: V5

gedcom files and ipad

Post by David_Lewis »

I thing al you have to do is create an account I.e username and password but you don't have to take up a subscription.

I certainly don't pay anything to ancestry and it works for me.

After uploading my two gedcom files ( there doesn't appear to be any limit) the hints started to appear about a few days later.

They show up as a green leaf in the top corner of boxes on the diagrams.

Now when you try and look at these hints via access from a pc you get asked to open a subscription but when you look at them via the ancestry app on on I pad you get one free look at the actual record. This is very useful when looking at census records but les usefull when looking at bad index images..

Ok I've just gone into ancestry and logged out of my account and tried to see if I can create a new account without having to subscribe to anything ....and it seems you can't. [frown]. I know there is a 14 day free trial but I think you have to give all your details first, set up a subscription and then cancel within the 14 days. Which is a bit of a pain.
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

gedcom files and ipad

Post by ruthhenrietta »

I've just set up an account with ancestry - simply put in email and password - no subscription. On my pc I uploaded gedcom file from FH into ancestry and there it is on the ipad app with all the green leaf hints with previews of original documents and all - no payments needed (unless you want to download the document - in which case it asks for payment).

I'm sure they'll latch on to this very quickly, so worth doing whilst you can!

Much more detailed display of family tree than GedView too - so thanks for the tip.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

gedcom files and ipad

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

The ancestry app sounds good, but can you view your tree without an internet connection?
I am using gedview at the moment, and that stores the file locally on the device.
PeterR
Megastar

gedcom files and ipad

Post by PeterR »

Gedview will also show all of the Sources and Notes, etc. linked to your Individual and Family records.  It is also possible, with some extra pre-processing, to include linked images.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

gedcom files and ipad

Post by ruthhenrietta »

I just turned my wifi off - yes ancestry app works with it off... but you obviously can't access the tips... and I have to say, having spent the last two hours playing with the tips, it's BRILLIANT - instant access to records without paying a penny and without having to do any searches...
Dagwood
Superstar

gedcom files and ipad

Post by Dagwood »

johnmorrisoniom said:
The ancestry app sounds good, but can you view your tree without an internet connection?
I am using gedview at the moment, and that stores the file locally on the device.
Now that is interesting as I had found that my DropBox folder will not allow me to open files when I don't have an internet connection. My netbook on the other hand has all the files available whether online or not. Of course it's DropBox where I keep my Gedcom file as part of my FH Project so I find myself up the proverbial creek when I am away from home and cannot get an internet signal. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong ( I'm good at that!)?? I didn't want to keep a separate Gedcom file just for Gedview but perhaps that is the answer and just make sure it is replaced each time I save the Project.
Dagwood
Malchal
Platinum

Re: gedcom files and ipad

Post by Malchal »

Hi, Has anyone an update on this subject.
Or is inappropriate for me to ask in 2017
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

No news from Calico Pie about this.

Personally i prefer the free Heredis app on my iPad for the display of my data.
Malchal
Platinum

Post by Malchal »

Thanks for the "heads up", I have the app on my iPad, I just have not tried it.
Will do so asap.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Which particular aspects are you interested in, and are you looking for a free app or prepared to pay.

how_to:family_historian_on_imac_ipad_android_etc#apple_ios|> Apple iOS mentions some alternatives.

The Ancestry app is one free option, but tied to the Ancestry web site tree rather than a Gedcom file.

fhugdownloads:contents:utility_heredis|> Utility ~ Heredis is another free app and unusually supports Fact Witnesses.

fhugdownloads:contents:gedview|> Utility ~ GedView and fhugdownloads:contents:utility_gedfamilies|> Utility ~ GedFamilies are not free.

A Forum search for Heredis and GedView and GEDFamilies in turn will list related threads.

There is no one perfect answer because depends on your criteria and objectives.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin produces Gedcom files better suited to such apps that the native FH Gedcom file, and has a dedicated setting for Heredis.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Malchal
Platinum

Post by Malchal »

Thank you for the prompt explanation.
I am new enough to FH6 not to know what I really want out of it, until I trip up a few times.

However, free always sounds nice and as Heredis works, as above.

If there is a dedicated method in the plug in I will go with that.

Thank you for FH6 I really enjoy using it, more and more as I get familiar with it.

KR
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a relative newcomer have you worked through the topics in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers?
Malchal
Platinum

Post by Malchal »

Yes I have thanks, though I do have difficulty remembering it all.
It becomes more familiar with use.
M
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Malchal wrote:Hi, Has anyone an update on this subject.
Or is inappropriate for me to ask in 2017
I carried a complete copy of all my TMG data to Australia on an i pad as a website folder generated with Second Site and viewed through the browser.
I assume one can do the same using Gedsite and fh.

If the inbuilt web site facility that comes with fh generates a complete project folder, one could probably put that onto an i-pad too.

I had expert guidance from people on the TMG forum, and in order to handle the folder, and navigate to the index file, I was advised to use the i-pad app Good Reader.
That project is still on our i-pad and I still open it via Good Reader. It is a pleasure to use. All the links work as for a cloud based website and it has every single source, citation, note etc in place. There isnt the problem of transferring data from one software to another which I found with Heredis. I havent tried the other viewers mentioned.
I was pleased to used the web builder which I had already purchased.
Malchal
Platinum

Post by Malchal »

Thank you for your thoughts, moving away from Heredis which seemed limited to me, perhaps in my ignorance.

I will try it out next week. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Malchal
Platinum

Post by Malchal »

I now have GoodReader.
Should I be
A. using the fh6 'website' to create a folder, then use the USB to iPad transfer method.
or
B. using the fh6 'full backup' to create a folder, then USB or email onto iPad and import to GoodReader?

Thank you in anticipation.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

GoodReader appears to be a PDF reader, so no use for Gedcom genealogy files.

In any case FH Publish > Create a Website and File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup are very unlikely candidates for transfer to other genealogy products.

Most products require a Gedcom file produced by File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File &/or the Export Gedcom File Plugin.

I found this http://www.mobilegenealogy.com/2012/09/ ... ad-3-18-0/ in a Genalogy Review saying "It’s one of my top-5 non-genealogy specific apps on my iPad as I have a lot of genealogy-related PDF files that I’ve accumulated over the years, and it’s very easy to keep them organized, and it doesn’t choke, even on the larger ones."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

EWilcock's use of Goodreader, which she describes above, seems to have involved generating a website from her TMG data using SecondSite "and in order to handle the folder, and navigate to the index file, I was advised to use the i-pad app Good Reader."
However she says it was "viewed through the browser" - no mention of PDF!
Lorna