* Findmypast 1921 census discount

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Findmypast 1921 census discount

Post by LornaCraig »

Findmypast are offering a 50% discount on access to the England and Wales1921 census for a few days. The offer ends at 23.59 BST on Monday 25 April.
This weekend only, enjoy half price access to the 1921 Census. It costs £1.25 (was £2.50) for every record transcript and £1.75 (was £3.50) for every original record image. Your discount will be automatically applied at checkout.

This will cover the cost of digitising and transcribing the 18,235,242 images created from the records supplied exclusively to us by The National Archives. It means these precious records are accessible, commitment-free, for everyone.

For 12-month Pro subscribers already benefiting from 10% off all 1921 Census purchases, that discount is automatically increased to 50% during the offer period.
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Re: Findmypast 1921 census discount

Post by AdrianBruce »

I succumbed and downloaded ten census schedules of my direct ancestors - including my 3G GF Harding who was still around when I checked my FH file. (A good job I checked - I'd not thought that he would be).

So far as I remember, only one of the ten had an indexing error that meant I couldn't find them - fortunately, the address search worked fine for them. There were probably more ancestors who "forgot" to insert their exact place of birth, etc.
Adrian
DonF
Diamond

Post by DonF »

My failure rate is much higher than that, probably due to the appalling transcriptions - my favourite being 'Caroline' indexed as 'Carshine'. Have just checked and there are still 5 'Carshine's in the 1921 census indexes....
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Thank you Lorna for the notification.

I went chasing some more immediate family and found that the transcription was as bad as ever.

My Great Grandfather Houle, perfectly legible entries on the form had been corrupted to "Honle"! :roll: :evil:

The only way to search was to enter the village name and then hope that the initial letter of the surname hadn't been corrupted and that the Christian names had been correctly transcribed, within 55,872 entries.

Good health, Bill
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

themoudie wrote: 02 May 2022 22:57... My Great Grandfather Houle, perfectly legible entries on the form had been corrupted to "Honle"! ...
Without seeing the image, I'm guessing but it's certainly "a well known fact" that the letters, n, u, m and w in cursive writing can be easily mixed up because, basically, they're just up and down squiggles where the initial pen stroke can start from anywhere. And if you're not sure if that is an "up and down" or a "down and up", you can get lost (or at least, I have). If you have the context, you'll wonder why they can't read it. If you don't...

Add to that, the "a" that isn't quite joined at the top and things get surprisingly tricky, surprisingly quickly.
Adrian
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have downloaded one image. This was of my father and his first family.
In previous census they all started with the reference RG11, RG12 etc followed by poice number, Folio and Page number. The 1921 census does not have any of these so it makes it hard to save them for identification. All I can find is RD-521_SD-8_ED-1
RD beking Regional District
How do others identify their cenus images. I did a search for my mother (my dads 2nd wife) but the search couldn't fine her
Victor
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There was a lengthy discussion about this question in this topic 1921 UK census - how to reference a schedule from its Findmypast image? (20137)
As you will see, there is no simple answer but if you use RG15 followed by RD (Registration district), SD (Sub district), ED (Enumeration district) and Schedule you should have enough information. (Confusingly, in the 1921 census some Piece numbers contain more than one ED)
Lorna
RS3100
Superstar

Post by RS3100 »

When viewing the household image (schedule) on FMP, there is a link to additional information/address or a similarly named button (I'm not at my PC right now to check exactly what the link button is called). Clicking on it will open a "filmstrip" of additional related document images, which can be viewed and downloaded within the purchase cost of the household image. The cover image has the piece number written across it, and also shows the RD, SD and ED numbers. The RD, SD and ED numbers should also be on the address image (the reverse of the household schedule sheet) and the schedule number should have been entered in the top right corner of the household image.

So it is possible to create the RG/PN/RD/SD/ED/SN reference from that information.
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

The easiest place to find the piece number is in the file name when downloaded - for example, GBC_1921_RG15_26454_0443.jpg is Class: RG15, Piece: 26454. As has already been stated, the RD, SD and ED will be on the Address part of the return, and the Schedule number is on the front of the return in the top right corner.

The already-mentioned post above will give ideas of how to reference. I use "Class: RG15 / Piece: 13180 / RD: 370 / SD: 3 / ED: 12 / Schd: 404" which means any other person using my data can find the same image.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Here is my take on referencing the 1921 census:

My generic sources look like this:- Census 1921 - RG15 Piece 1589 RD 20 SD 02 ED 18 SN206

This is accompanied by three downloaded files, named
1. 1921 01589 Cover
3. 1921 01589 SN206
2.1921 01589 SN206 Address

The first, applies to all census using Piece 01589, (giving RD, SD & ED), and is only downloaded once per piece.
The second is the actual return, and I find Piece and Schedule number (SN) are sufficiently unique to identify the correct image, so RD, SD and ED are omitted.
The third contains the actual address.

I keep these files in a directory d:\Cenus\1921, so although the 1921 in the filename is a bit superflous (the file is in a directory called 1921), I find it helps me find the file should I place it in wrong census directory by mistake. (once bitten... :D )

I note Lorna's comment that Piece number can be on more than one RD, SD, ED combination, but will stick with is scheme until proved otherwise :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Gowermick wrote: 09 May 2022 07:18... I note Lorna's comment that Piece number can be on more than one RD, SD, ED combination, but will stick with is scheme until proved otherwise :D
I assume that by "proved otherwise", you actually mean "until I hit the problem". Just to be clear - there is no doubt that a Piece can cover multiple RD/SD/ED combinations. What I don't know is how often that happens - or even why.

To see my previous post on this topic, try https://fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... 14#p120324 etc.

What I can add to the previous posts is that, thanks to the half price offer of a couple of weeks ago, I splurged on some schedules and RG 15/16982 that I referred to, was one of the pieces involved. One of the ancillary "Extra" documents accessible for free from a (paid-for) schedule image is the Cover (not to be confused with the very useful Plans of Division that describe the ED or whatever). This is part of the cover for Piece 16982 referred to above:
Census1921_RG15_16982_0001.jpg
Census1921_RG15_16982_0001.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 3828 times
The pencilled scrawl appears to read RG 15 / 16982 but what I didn't realise is that the bundling of 3 Enumeration Districts into one Piece appears to have been done by the GRO right back at the time the 1921 was being compiled - rather than TNA wanting to save on boxes, so them bundling some thin EDs together. So anyone like Mike wondering if they might get duplicate schedule numbers within a Piece should check the Enumeration Districts item on the Cover. (As far as we know, each ED restarted its Schedules at 1, so multiple EDs in a Piece will mean repeated Schedules.)

But quite why some EDs were bundled by the GRO, I don't know.
Adrian
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

AdrianBruce wrote: 09 May 2022 12:17
Gowermick wrote: 09 May 2022 07:18... I note Lorna's comment that Piece number can be on more than one RD, SD, ED combination, but will stick with is scheme until proved otherwise :D
I assume that by "proved otherwise", you actually mean "until I hit the problem".
Yes, exactly :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Surely part of the problem is mixing two hierarchies?

Varying slightly between census (particularly for 1911 onwards)

Analysing a census geographically gives you:
Year,
County,
Registration District & Number,
Sub District & Number,
Enumeration District,
Which is then in "walk order"

Analysing by organisation of the physical record gives you:
Archive series,
Piece Number,
Folio Number,
Page Number,
Schedule.

Prior to 1911 FMP seemed to follow the organisation Hierarchy, but for 1911 (and 1921?) they mix them! For 1911 they give a specific "census reference" such as "AS: RG14; PN: 26296; AS: RG78; PN: 1521; RD: 495; SD: 8; ED: 11; SN: nnn;" ("JSON" punctuation added by me for clarity and ability to "extract"). Separately they repeat "RG 78 piece number: 1521;"

Given digitalisation (which gives me the means by which I access census records) would have followed the physical organisation of the archived records (?), I have always tried to follow the organisational hierarchy thinking "well, if that is how FMP did it, I suspect that is how Ancestry did it as well, so if I want to check their images for a more legible version, the organisational reference is probably more useful than the geographic reference" - as it will get me (prior to 1911) more quickly to an image of the same piece of paper. [Which is a prime purpose of a reference]

Does that still apply for 1911 (yes, with a wriggle or two) and to 1921 (I don't know - yet)?
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

davidf wrote: 11 May 2022 10:26 ...
Analysing by organisation of the physical record gives you:
Archive series,
Piece Number,
Folio Number,
Page Number,
Schedule.
I would say, without writing out every option, that the issue derives from the fact that TNA didn't stamp folio numbers on the 1911 or 1921 pages. They thought that they could get away with
  • Archive series,
  • Piece Number,
  • Schedule.
And so far as I can remember, they were right for the 1911. However, because the 1921 GRO bundled several EDs, each starting its schedule numbers at 1, into one "thing" (that became a Piece), that trio doesn't work for the 1921. I don't think that this matters for TNA because they are archivists who work at a box level (which I believe means Piece). It's only people like us who want to define precise (imaged) sheets of paper.

I've also decided that it doesn't do to worry too much about what a Piece is, or what a Folio is. Censuses are reasonably clear - but other types of document? :(
Adrian