* OneDrive sync ends next year

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

OneDrive sync ends next year

Post by tatewise »

The OneDrive app will stop working for Home Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users in March 2022.

Personal OneDrive accounts (free or Office 365 Personal/Family) won’t be able to sync with cloud storage via the OneDrive app starting on March 1, 2022. No files will be lost (they’ll be saved either on your computer or OneDrive cloud) but synchronization of the two locations will cease.

From January 1, 2022, onward, the OneDrive app for Windows won’t get any security or bug fixes — but that doesn’t matter a lot when the app won’t work at all just two months later.

Office 365 for Windows will still be able to open documents saved to OneDrive, but only when the computer is online. Offline access to OneDrive files, via the synced folders, will be lost.

Business Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will suffer the same fate in January 2023.

See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2929066 for details.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
GeneSniper
Superstar

Re: OneDrive sync ends next year

Post by GeneSniper »

I think I would be more worried about having an unsupported and soon to be unsupported version of windows on my PC, than whether it was going to sync OneDrive. As you say, you will still be able to use OneDrive online to store your data and use it across your devices. Best option in the long run is update your version of windows to one that is fully supported by Microsoft.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Windows 8.1 is still fully supported until January 10, 2023.

However, I tend to agree and posted that message for the information of users of those Windows versions.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

That was why a said "soon to be unsupported" after all it is only 10 month's after the Onedrive app is dispatched. I really think this is Microsoft just trying to get peeps to upgrade to their more secure version of Windows by giving them less goodies if you stay on the older version.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are probably correct. That is what the pundits are saying. I'm just warning users of those older Windows versions.