* FH 7.0.9

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
dbnut
Famous
Family Historian: V7

FH 7.0.9

Post by dbnut »

For me, well worth installing this update - just for whole-line highlighting in the records windows. Thanks Calico Pie!
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"
BillH
Megastar

Re: FH 7.0.9

Post by BillH »

I agree! :D I suggested this to CP during the betas for versions 5 and 6. Glad they finally added it.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Indeed - sometimes it's the small changes that make all the difference to usability, and that now finally gets rid of one of my long-standing bugbears :).
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

This just goes to show how many different requirements Calico Pie have to satisfy. I've had to turn off this new feature!

I work with generic sources only, and my quick way of creating a new generic source is (as it always was) to right-click in a blank space in the Sources tab of the Records Window and choose New Source. But when the click selects the whole row there is no blank space. (Actually that's not quite true. There is a space at the end of the row, but that's usually obscured by the docked Propery Box). Fortunately CP have given us the option to turn off the whole row selection, but new users will never be aware of the secrets of the right click....
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, there is somewhere to right-click even when Prefer full row selection is enabled.
Right-click the [+] or icon at the left-hand end of any row and the usual New Source, Columns & Options list is available.

This trick works for every Records Window tab, although the Add command offers most of them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another pretty quick way is to click on the Source Icon drop down and select new Generic Source from there.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

There appear to be a couple of cosmetic blemishes with how full row selection has been implemented. If you turn it off, any previously selected row is still shown as selected until the Records Window is refreshed. IMO, it should refresh automatically when the option is changed.

If the last column is blank, the selection stops a few pixels into that column and does not select the full width. All other blank columns are selected correctly, so it is just the last one that is affected. It doesn't make any practical difference to usability, but it can look a bit odd.
Mark Draper
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 04 Dec 2021 11:18 Lorna, there is somewhere to right-click even when Prefer full row selection is enabled.
Right-click the [+] or icon at the left-hand end of any row and the usual New Source, Columns & Options list is available.
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that.

Jane wrote: Another pretty quick way is to click on the Source Icon drop down and select new Generic Source from there.
Yes I know, but I prefer to create a generic source in its Property Box (the old-fashioned way!), especially if I'm not going to use it immediately. I keep the Property Box docked at the side, and this method avoids opening the Citation Window which obscures a lot of stuff. Just a personal preference.
Lorna
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

If I change the Default Font in the Tools > Preferences > Display window to something distinctive, it changes how the Records Window and Named List Pane display, but not much else as far as I can tell.

If I go back to the Preferences setting and click on Restore Defaults, the Default Font is shown as going back to Tahoma, 10 pt. I then click on Apply and OK, and nothing changes in how the Records Window displays. I reselect Preferences, and it still shows the font I entered manually, and the change back to default hasn't stuck.

If others can reproduce that, I will report it to CP as a bug.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I get those symptoms, although not 100%.
Sometimes it behaves correctly, especially if you skip the Apply and just use OK.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Thanks. My laptop is still on 7.0.8.2, and that works correctly, so it looks like a new bug introduced into this update. I'll report it. It's probably worth routinely keeping the laptop one update behind to check for this sort of thing in the future. I always download and keep the installation file, so I can control which version I update to.

I must admit, I find the whole fonts thing a bit of a b****r's muddle. Preferences -> Property Box changes a whole lot of other stuff as well (including the Rich Text Editor :?), while Preferences -> Display only changes the Records Window and Named List Pane, not any other displayed feature. I know there is history to how it got into that state, but how are new users supposed to understand it?
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suspect it is connected with the new Screen Font Scaling.
Yes, fonts and a few other settings have a chequered history and must be very confusing for new users.