* Free online course from Strathclyde University

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Free online course from Strathclyde University

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

This free online course run by Strathclyde University is about to run again: Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree.

It's equally good as a refresher or an introduction; however, I particularly recommend it if you're just getting started.
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Re: Free online course from Strathclyde University

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you for this recommendation. I have signed in for the course and using it as a refresher on Recording and Citation of my records and finding any gaps in my family Projects especially in Scottish and USA records. There is a high sign up from students all over the world in the first few days.

Do you have a copy of recommended Citation methodology based on University of Strathcylde linked to new FH V.7?

Thanks
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

I did this course last year and it was excellent. So much useful information and new research strategies. I did it via Future Learn and learnt a lot from the discussion threads with other students too.
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

Thank you for link to University of Strathcylde useful 'Referencing Guide'. At the moment they seem to be using American Family Tree Maker software which does not always suit correct UK Harvard Citation for students on their postgraduate genealogy programmes and have to be manually corrected. They introduce citation on last week 6 on their free MOOC and how to write stories which I am looking forward to,thanks
ississi
Diamond

Post by ississi »

thank you :-)
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

So Grateful for your information and the link to the course. I have now registered and my daughter will follow later this evening thank you.
Uppedsticks
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Post by Uppedsticks »

Can anyone tell me when the online course from Strathclyde University starts? I am trolling through their information but cannot find a date. I have reached 1.4 introduce yourself but at the top it says you have to be enrolled to do this. I have registered and have received 3 emails from the University so what do you do to enroll?
Am I missing something!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The site says you can start straight away.

If you've registered on the site, you join the course here: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We’re now in week 2 of the course. If you’ve enrolled just for the free version, you lose access shortly after it completes, so need to make sure you don’t get too far behind. I’m only partway through week 1, so need to get a wiggle on... :)
Mark Draper
klm2OUMK
Diamond

Post by klm2OUMK »

I am on Week 2 at the moment. You can join at any time and have about 50 days free access before you loose access. People from all over the world are joining all the time. No need to catch just study 'at your own pace one week at a time' . Don't get distracted by trying to read 100's of comments from other students just stick to the weekly study learning outcomes and when you are ready go onto the next week