* GEDCOM 5.5.5 maintenance release

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
dbridge276
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

GEDCOM 5.5.5 maintenance release

Post by dbridge276 »

I read with interest that GEDCOM 5.5.5 was released on 2 Oct 2019.

Apologies if there is a thread already, all I could find was v 5.5.1

For me the interesting part is the summary that it is more a fix of gedcom for issues that have exited for over 20 years.

Extract from press release:

GEDCOM 5.5.5 isn’t just another new version of GEDCOM. Previous versions of GEDCOM were feature releases; new versions that introduced new features. GEDCOM 5.5.5 is a maintenance release; it addresses issues with GEDCOM itself, both long-standing issues as well as those that result from the twenty year hiatus.
GEDCOM 5.5.5 does not introduce any major new features. On the contrary, GEDCOM 5.5.5 removes dated, obsolete, deprecated and duplicate features to create a leaner and meaner GEDCOM no longer burdened by features nobody needs.

The GEDCOM.org press release (PDF) is at https://www.gedcom.org/press/PRGEDCOM555.pdf

There are a couple of interesting summary webpages by reviewers, I like this one in particular.

https://www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOM555Ju ... sion.xhtml

Now for the real question. Will FH v7 be 5.5.5 compatible?
Researching Bridge, Renwick, Parsons, Child, Everett + my wife’s side of our tree Carney/Street, Curtis, Weight, Rush
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: GEDCOM 5.5.5 maintenance release

Post by Valkrider »

v5.5.5 is not an official release from Family Search the authors of the specification.

v5.5.1 was in draft form for 10 years or so.

V5.5.1 was made a release version recently (last year iirc) by Family Search.

As to what version is in FH V7 we will have to wait until the Release Notes are available.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

This is the earlier thread from October 2019: GEDCOM 5.5.5! (17121)
Nothing has changed since then.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

dbridge276 wrote: 27 Sep 2020 20:26 ...
There are a couple of interesting summary webpages by reviewers, I like this one in particular.
https://www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOM555Ju ... sion.xhtml
Err, yes. Given that Tamura was the moving force behind 5.5.5, I don't think he counts as a reviewer.

Please note that I think he deserves huge credit for what he's done. He does appear, for instance, to have panicked FamilySearch into issuing the (internally inconsistent and incomplete) 5.5.1 as a final version but whether any manufacturer will take any notice, remains to be seen.
Adrian