* Are English parish record images online?

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Are English parish record images online?

Post by BillH »

I was wondering if any one could tell me if parish record images for Lincolnshire are available online anywhere. I know the indices are available online at Ancestry, Family Search, and I'm sure other places as well. I was hoping to be able to view the actual images of the records if it is possible. If there is a free site where they are available that would be great, but a pay site would be fine too.

Thanks,
Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Are English parish record images online?

Post by tatewise »

I am not aware of any free image records online.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results ... -1538-1911 subscription needed to view images, but I could check a few for you to see if worth signing up.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/covera ... =#includes subscription needed and some districts have images.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Thanks for the kind offer.

I am particularly interested in Nickolas Henshaw. He was baptized at St Mary and St Nicholas Church in Spalding, Lincolnshire on 31 Aug 1695. If you could check any images for him, it would be appreciated. I am curious if there is any additional information I can get on his family.

His parents were Richard Henshaw and Ellen ?. I have baptism and burial info from the indices available online for his siblings, but I was hoping that maybe the actual record images might show more info and maybe some marriage info.

Thanks!
Bill
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Don't think it will be of much help but here is the entry
Nicholas Henshaw.png
Nicholas Henshaw.png (268.92 KiB) Viewed 11439 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Brian,

Thanks for the image. I was hoping there might be some additional info that wasn't included in the index. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Do you know what the symbol after his name is that looks like a "y" with an "o" over it?

Thanks,
Bill
brianlummis
Superstar

Post by brianlummis »

Good question, Bill, but I am afraid I don't know the answer. On the same page and in the same handwriting some entries have "the son of" or "the daughter of" following the name and others have a similar shorthand as you describe. I am guessing that it may be some Latin abbreviation but someone with a better knowledge of old handwriting might be able to decipher.

Brian
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I see that it is in the Unicode symbols and is indeed a "Latin small y with a ring above it". I couldn't find anywhere what it means or how it is used in genealogy. Hopefully someone will know.

Thanks,
Bill
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

It's a letter called thorn, and is used as an abbreviation meaning 'the'. It's a common assumption that it was pronounce 'ye' but apparently it wasn't! Here's a screenshot from Wikipedia. The full article is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_(letter)

thorn letter.JPG
thorn letter.JPG (36.26 KiB) Viewed 11396 times
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Lorna,

Thanks so much. I should have been looking for "y" with an "e" over it instead of "y" with an "o" over it. After looking at the other writing in the image Brian posted, I can see that it is an "e".

Thanks!
Bill
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

BillH wrote: 01 May 2020 22:09
Do you know what the symbol after his name is that looks like a "y" with an "o" over it?

Thanks,
Bill
It's actually how they wrote 'the'.

Written as ye (with a reversed e) which was the old English thorn - the source of YE as in ye olde shoppe.
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

For Lincolnshire have you tried Lincstothepast.com? It is the Lincolnshire Archives website and has made images available free for years. Granted it is very fiddly to use and FindmyPast has all the images anyway, but on subscription. On FindmyPast it is best to use the A to Z of record sets > Lincolnshire. The search then enables you to search individual parishes and will quickly show you if a parish is not available for the years you are searching.
Anne
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

David2416 wrote
... the source of YE as in ye olde shoppe.
Except that the 'YE' in 'ye olde shoppe' is a modern pseudo-archaic use, as a quick Google will reveal. Perhaps I should have copied a bit more of the Wikipedia article in my previous reply. The paragraph immediately after the one in my screenshot starts:
Thorn in the form of a "Y" survives in pseudo-archaic uses, particularly the stock prefix "Ye olde". The definite article spelt with "Y" for thorn is often jocularly or mistakenly pronounced /jiː/ ("yee")
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

BillH wrote: 02 May 2020 00:14 ... an "e" over it instead of "y" with an "o" over it. After looking at the other writing in the image Brian posted, I can see that it is an "e". ...
As an incidental, you will get a long way into writing methods of the past if you understand the long "s" (the one that some people insist on transcribing as an "f"), the "e" written as if it's an "o" with a line through it (like an "ɵ"), and the "c" that looks more like a slightly simpler modern letter "r".
Adrian
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

I tried this National Archives resource a few years ago - it may have changed
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/
Palaeography: reading old handwriting
1500 - 1800
A practical online tutorial

Palaeography is the study of old handwriting. This web tutorial will help you learn to read the handwriting found in documents written in English between 1500 and 1800.

At first glance, many documents written at this time look illegible to the modern reader. By reading the practical tips and working through the documents in the Tutorial in order of difficulty, you will find that it becomes much easier to read old handwriting.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks all for the help and replies. I will check out the Lincolnshire Archives site. I may sign up for a month on FindMyPast to see what I can find there. My searches for my possible Spalding Henshaw connection have not found anything that isn't already in index form on Ancestry or FamilySearch.

Thanks!
Bill
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Bill
Just as an addition to Anne's reply about Find My Past and the A -Z of records. I agree with her that look for the parish but if your search doesn't return your ancestor go back to a general search as well, as with FMP's Staffordshire records the name doesn't always turn up even if the name is clear. Another way is to find the parish for anyone around the time you think you need and then go through each page as search engines don't always turn up what you are looking for. Also it is also an aid to your research as you may find other family members.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Ann,

Thanks for the reply. I have searched both ways on FindMyPast and found some records for the family. I just don't have a subscription to FindMyPast.

I was hoping that some of the records might have more info than what was transcribed into the indices on Ancestry, FamilySearch, etc. For the one Brian posted an image of, there was no additional information. I'm still trying to decide if I think it is worth subscribing if there is a high likelihood that there is no additional information.

Thanks!
Bill
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Bill
If the date you are looking for is in the same church record around the same date it probable that the information will be the same for all the surrounding records. The change could come when there is a new register or a new vicar. After 1813 there were forms, some vicars did record the date of birth but it wasn't on the form. Prior to that it depended on the vicar and how much he was willing to allow the precious pages of his register to be taken up with extra information or how much he wanted to discuss the affairs of his parishioners or the prevailing weather conditions.
Good luck
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Ann,

The image Brian posted was for 1695. The other records for the family would range from about 1685 to 1730 or so.

Since I'm not positive I am related to this family (see the thread need help finding Nicholas Henshaw (15790)), I think I'll hold off subscribing for now.

Thanks!
Bill
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Billh,
It is worth remembering tht Familysearch (FS) have a lot of images that aren’t indexed, so don’t appear during a normal person search.
If you login (it’s free and not tied to LDS membership) and do a catalogue search for the town you’re interested in (specifying on-line only), FS will present you with a list of entries for the records they have in their catalogue. Look for church records, click on that entry and it will listall the churches for which they have information. Click on the church you’re after, and it will list all the batches available, along with their film number.
The symbols alongside will tell you if images are available to browse, have been indexed or only available on fiche.
This is my first port of call for those situations where normal sites haven’t got the image I’m looking for.
What’ more, it is free :D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had already looked there. They are available online, but only at an LDS Family History Center. At the moment these are all closed due to the virus. There is one not to far from me, so maybe I'll head over there after things open up again.

Thanks,
Bill