* Annoying FH behaviour

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Annoying FH behaviour

Post by Valkrider »

Something that I find more frustrating every time I am lucky enough to find an ancestors military or other record that contains multiple facts is the Fact Type modal box.

You select the Fact Set to Military (or whatever) and can then choose your Event / Attribute and you have several Events to add you click the 'Close Dialog after Adding' check box to turn it off > Select the Event you want to add detail to but you cannot get the main FH window to have focus because the modal window is still open. So you then have to close the Fact Types modal window. Why o why does it have the 'Close Dialog after Adding' check box available if you cannot make use of it?

Maybe this should be a wish list request if it isn't already to

1: Allow the Fact Type window to be kept open and allow entry of data
2: To retain the Fact Set last chosen in the dropdown.

Whinge over
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Annoying FH behaviour

Post by tatewise »

I think the idea is that if you want to add several Facts, then by unticking the Close Dialog after Adding box, you can keep on adding Facts in the order required, then close the Fact Types dialogue and insert the details for each of those Facts in the Property Box. I do agree it would be better if non-modal, and who knows, that may be in V7?

BTW: You can select multiple Facts in the Fact Types dialogue and click Add to add them all in one go, but they are added in the order they are listed in Fact Types. However, that can be fixed after inserting Date details, etc, by using the usual data sort options.

Colin, why is this in the General Forum rather than the FH General Usage Forum?

I think reporting this behaviour directly to Calico Pie is more likely to get it resolved than our Wish List.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Mike

I put it here as it was a whinge rather than anything productive. (More than happy if you want to move it).

Thanks for the comments about selecting multiple facts as I wasn't aware of that, I never thought to try it. Fingers crossed for V7 functionality.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you have a few types you want to use a lot add them to the drop down menu for the Add or try out Helens MultiFact plugin.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Thanks, Jane -- I was about to suggest MultiFact might help.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks @Jane and @Helen I will give it a try.