* Ancestris versus Family Historian

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Ancestris versus Family Historian

Post by tatewise »

One of the unique selling points of FH is its GEDCOM 5.5 compliance.

I recently discovered Ancestris that also claims 100% GEDCOM 5.5 and Draft 5.5.1 compliance!
My tests suggest that those claims are almost completely justified (a few minor issues are currently being fixed).

It uses the GEDCOM file as its database just like FH.

It has automatic Place mapping similar to FH.

The Editor, Chart, Report, etc, windows can float (works well on large monitors) and saved from session to session.

The product is entirely FREE and distributed under the GNU General Public Licence with all source code available online.

It runs on Windows and MacOS and Linux.

There are not yet as many styles of Diagram Charts and Textual Reports as in FH and it has less customisation.
However, as a free product that runs on so many platforms, it is very interesting, so FH watch out!
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Ancestris versus Family Historian

Post by Jane »

I see why I have not experimented with it, it needs Java. For me that makes it a non-starter.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) will not run in most current browsers as they they don't support the NPAPI protocol, and in the Java Control Panel the Enable Java content for browser and Web Start applications can be unticked, but Ancestris still runs. The Java Pros and Cons (17034) are discussed elsewhere.

Ancestris may be of more interest to MacOS users who are family & friends of Windows FH users, and want a free method of viewing GEDCOM files.

The theme of this thread is that Ancestris competes with FH on similar selling points as it is GEDCOM based and fully compliant, but also runs on several platforms.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have been collaborating with the Ancestris developers.
The online Installation instructions have been significantly revised.
Some minor GEDCOM compliance issues with both 5.5 and 5.5.1 have been resolved, but a few are still outstanding.
Nonetheless, it is one of most GEDCOM compliant products I have ever encountered, and in some respects surpasses FH.

Its compatibility across MacOS and Windows and Linux platforms will be invaluable to some users.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Mike,

Please may I ask if you have any updates, observations, recommendations to make on the Ancestris software and the implications of its use of Java, versus FH v7.0.8?

I am swithering whether to upgrade to FH v7.0.8, as I am not using all the buttons and whistles in FH v6.2.7 by a country mile and the flexibility/adaptability/plug-ins, I find very confusing. I prefer to write my own "notes/story" on an individual, so the "enhanced!" auto text is also largely redundant.

At present I use FH on a Desktop, running Windows10 Home v20H2 ( wary of v21H2) and I believe that TPM 2.0 is not enabled, so Windows11 will not run. It would appear from other threads on the forum that I have nothing to fear when running both FH v6.2.7 or v7.0.8 and AS v7.2 in Windows10 Home v21H2 or Windows11. Do you have any advice, please?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Bill
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Certainly, all recent versions of FH and AS run well on all recent versions of Windows.
( I would advise not upgrading to Windows 11 yet, even if you could, as it still has some issues. )

You can avoid most of the new features in FH v7.0 if you don't like them.
One exception is the new Sources For window and separate floating Citation Window.
See Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders) and V6 Source Pane (19860).
However, some new features you may like such as rich text word-processing that would allow your own "notes/story" to use bold, italics, bullet lists, tables, links, etc. That is quite different from Auto-Text.
You might also like Fact Sort Dates to keep facts in a defined order.

Like most software, Ancestris is under continual development, so bug fixes and new features are regularly added.
Its use of Java allows it to run on several platforms: Windows, MacOS, Unix.
IMO the risk of Java is minimal as long as it is disabled in your browsers. It then only runs in conjunction with Ancestris.

Personally, I find Ancestris less attractive to use than FH and it has nothing equivalent to AS.
However, it is free and runs on several platforms, so it is useful for sending FH Projects to friends and family who don't want to buy software or are using MacOS or Unix, especially as it is very good at understanding GEDCOM formats.

Since it is free, you can download and install Ancestris to give it a go. You have little to lose except some time.
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Mike,

Thank you for your time and considered comments. The thought of getting my head around another database does not fill me with joy and I do like the combined package of AS and FH for data entry.

May be FH v7 will go on the list! I will need to pay close attention to the does and don't you have published when making the upgrade.

Good health, Bill