* To Do List

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

To Do List

Post by Valkrider »

We had a long discussion earlier about To Do lists.

I was today notified of the availability of the Microsoft to Do app in the iPhone app store as of today. I have also found that it is available in the Mac app store too. Presumably it is also available in the Windows store.

Whilst not integrated with Family Historian it is an app that on initial impressions stores its data in the cloud and makes it available to other devices. So it may be worth looking at if you haven't already.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Re: To Do List

Post by GeneSniper »

Hi Colin

I wrote this in the original To-do topic
I have been trying to follow this thread but it seems to be getting away from me. The one thing I will say is that this thread has focused me to look at other ways to do things and look beyond what I do with different programs. Having read through what you have been saying on here two programs I would recommend are both by Microsoft, OneNote and To-do which have both been mentioned here. My reason for recommending them having looked more at them is that they are both cross platform iOS, Windows, android and web based so a big tick there and are very searchable (Which I didn't realise until now as I never needed it before). They also sync across all platforms via your Microsoft account including Microsoft Office and have pop up reminders in the to-do list.

I use them more now and have to say if I had spent a bit more time learning the other things that could be done with them, I probably wouldn't have started this thread . I suppose that is the same for FH, lesson learned, I hope . Looks like this and what is available through FH will be more than enough for me.
I have to say that if you use Microsoft Office 365/Outlook on Windows (Not sure about Apple) then the Microsoft to-do app is for you. It syncs with outlook tasks, so you get the advantage of taking your task list with you on your iOS and android phone, tablet and also online. There is also an Outlook app that does your emails and calendar if you like the way Outlook works that also works across all platforms. You can even make separate to-do lists, Personal, Family Tree, Business for example and then either have them all together or look at them individually. As I said above what I have now Outlook Tasks with a FH list and Named Lists with Notes (although I will admit I haven't looked fully at them yet as I have been going back through How To Get The Most..... as promised Mike :D) will be enough for me as I get my pop up reminder on screen.
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I can't find my notes now, but I looked at ToDo when William first suggested it and concluded that -- for me at least -- it isn't mature enough to replace ToDoist (which I currently use). In particular there's meta-data that doesn't transfer from OUtlook on the desktop to the Android version, so the two aren't exactly in synch... And the facilities for defining recurring tasks (maybe not so important for FH to-do lists) aren't very good yet.

I shall however take another look in a couple of years.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

It was more about now being available on the iPhone and iPad where it wasn't before.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Sorry, I knew Outlook app was available on iOS and presumed To-do was as well.
William

E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I use Evernote for everything. I dont own the book on using Evernote for genealogy but I read the article on a USA genealogy site soon after Evernote began. I still use the free version limited to my desk top computer and phone.
I dont want to do lists within fh since fh runs only on Windows.
arishmell
Famous

Post by arishmell »

Google Tasks is also cross-platform, and synchs with Gmail and Google Calendar. I prefer to 'print' my Named Lists plus notes and save them to Google Keep or Dropbox.
Maureen

Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowd*n, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

ColeValleyGirl wrote:I can't find my notes now, but I looked at ToDo when William first suggested it and concluded that -- for me at least -- it isn't mature enough to replace ToDoist (which I currently use). In particular there's meta-data that doesn't transfer from OUtlook on the desktop to the Android version, so the two aren't exactly in synch... And the facilities for defining recurring tasks (maybe not so important for FH to-do lists) aren't very good yet.

I shall however take another look in a couple of years.
Can't comment on meta data Helen, but recurring tasks are very good. There are set ones, monthly, week days etc and if that doesn't cover it there is a custom one to set up yourself. But horses for courses, if you have one that works for you don't change doesn't make sense. I originally didn't realise I could set up different task lists and that was why I made the original "Simple To-do List" suggestion, I would never had suggested it if I had known I could set up the separate Family Tree to-do list in Outlook/Microsoft To-Do. That along with Named Lists solved my problems.
William