* Connecting to Restored rootsweb hosted sites -

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Connecting to Restored rootsweb hosted sites -

Post by E Wilcock »

I wonder if anyone here with IT and FTP knowledge could help me please.

My website (in my signature) was restored by Rootsweb and I set up a new password.
Today for the first time, using Filezilla for FTP, I managed to get entry to the website using instructions found on line.
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~gearyfamily/ ... sites.html

The host is sftp://siteuser.rootsweb.com

Having got access, I renamed my old Wilcock tree. But I rejoiced to soon as I then failed to upload its replacement.
And now I cant get entry to the site. Connection is timed out every time.
Anyone who clicks the Wilcock tree on my site will (correctly) get an error message 404.

Is being timed out something one can alter? Is it dictated by one's browser or one's internet provider - in our case Plus net.
Is the problem with me or Rootsweb?
I have no idea what is going on. Is the advice to pay a subscription website as I know some people here do?

This is the repeated error message
Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
Command: open "wilcock@siteuser.rootsweb.com" 22
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server
arthurk
Superstar

Re: Connecting to Restored rootsweb hosted sites -

Post by arthurk »

I've just checked the FTP settings for my Rootsweb site, and it looks as though you have a typo.

The host name is sitesuser.rootsweb.com with an 's' in the middle. I've checked this with my FTP program (not Filezilla), and it connected with no problem.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you so much. I am getting too old and vague. It has gone up now. And am so grateful to you. Tho, yes, I know I have failed to link the picture properly - am out of practice.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

It's an easy mistake - 'siteuser' would seem a more normal term to use, so on a quick look through the settings you could easily get it wrong. It's a while since I did mine, but I have a vague memory that I might have got it wrong first time too.

(You see - 'vague' happens to me sometimes too :D )