* Wordpress Gedcom plugin

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Wordpress Gedcom plugin

Post by Valkrider »

I know some members here use Wordpress for their personal sites.

I have developed a small Wordpress plugin that takes a Family Historian Gedcom and displays names and some facts on page. I have done some testing of it and it works fine for me and a friend has Reunion on a Mac and its gedcom's threw several errors which are now corrected.

I intend to try and get this on the Wordpress Plugin Repository once I have some more user input on it.

If you are interested in giving it a try take a look at http://orba-design.com/genealogy/gedshow/ where there is a fuller description and some screenshots. If you would like a copy to try please drop me an email and I will forward it to you.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Wordpress Gedcom plugin

Post by Jane »

Looks like a good start. I would be interested in having a play with it when it's ready.

Will you be adding a short code to display the details for a single record or jump to a page which does? Useful when including names in an article. I have been thinking about writing something for this for a while as I use TNG at the moment, but it does not integrate in very well.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

This plugin is now available in the Wordpress repository at https://wordpress.org/plugins/gedshow/.

It is fairly basic at the moment but now it is available from WP I can get on and add additional functionality.

The way it works is that it displays all the surnames in the file, you then click to select one particular surname and then click again to select one particular individual and it displays the facts below their name. The facts are limited at the moment but will be expanded in subsequent releases.

Some screenshots:
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (18.51 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (26.47 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-4.png (72.6 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have done a couple of updates to this plugin and now have a demo site up and running if you want to check it out.

https://gedshow.le-fever.org.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have made a lot of updates to this plugin over the last few months and today have published a new version which allows the display of living people as well as deceased on a password protected page and only deceased on a page open to the public. It also now has a tree display.

The updates are now live in the Wordpress repository and my demo site is now updated should you want to take a look.
quarlton
Famous

Post by quarlton »

Hi

I've just given this a try and find that it doesn't give me any information beyond the count of individuals.

Small (71 people) gedcom exported from FH using both export gedcom, and the Export Gedcom plugin.

In both cases UTF-8 was selected.
WordPress v5.3.2
PHP v7.3
Webpage:- https://www.quarlton.co.uk/gedshow-test/

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Dave Simpson ~ Boulton, Braham, Carney, Simpson and Jacobs
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Dave

Are you using v2.0.4 of the plugin? Is it a multi-site install? It may be better to move this to https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gedshow/ as it is not directly FH related.
quarlton
Famous

Post by quarlton »

Yes, v2.0.4
No, not a multi-site install
Will move message to WP site.
Thanks
Dave Simpson ~ Boulton, Braham, Carney, Simpson and Jacobs
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Dave

Looking at your site it is showing some unusual facts. Would you mind sending me a copy of your gedcom so I can take a look at it to see why they are being generated as they have been?