* The virtues of FH

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

The virtues of FH

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
I have recently joined a U3A group. Last meeting the subject of family history programs came up. The tutor had a family tree generated from FH. I said I could take my laptop in to the next meeting and show them FH and AS. I will probably only have a few minutes to talk about it. What would be the main points members would high light to extol the virtues of our program, probably for people who have not used a program before?
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: The virtues of FH

Post by Jane »

You might find this one of use
http://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/201 ... neologist/

I posted it after doing a online presentation for a US group.

Personally I would concentrate on FH, trying to cover both in a short time will be tricky.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Ann,
Some points that immediately spring to my mind are:

1. Its openness, where every bit of data is accessible to the user. There is no hidden database under the bonnet, making it extremely flexible.

2. Its very flexible query system, which is extremely powerful and helps one stay focused during research sessions.

3. Its plugin system, allowing users to write code to expand the program’s in-built capabilities.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, could that be linked into somewhere like how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation for newcomers?

Ann, presumably you will demonstrate the Family Historian Sample Project and say that comes with FH as an example.
If time is really short I'd concentrate on the Focus Window with Property Box alongside, All Relatives Diagram, Narrative Report and Map Window as they are the most eye-catching.
Leave time for some Q & A, but if none are forthcoming then try to mention the Records Window, Media Window, Query Window, Plugins, Ancestral Sources, FHUG, and Importing/Exporting to other products.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Feel free to add a link in Mike.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

How much did the tutor cover at the last meeting? If you have limited time don't spend too long going over the same ground.

Other than that, I agree with Mike (Tate) that the eye-catching things are the ones to concentrate on. My favourite would be diagrams, showing how easy it is to change the diagram root and hide or expand branches. Most people will be familiar with the idea of a family tree in diagram form so they will easily grasp what it's about.

More advance things like queries and plugins, suggested by Mike (Loney) are great, but would take more explaining and may not be of much interest to people who don't already have any data to use them on. I would mention them, but not devote too much time to them. And don't forget to mention FHUG!
Lorna
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

LornaCraig wrote:Other than that, I agree with Mike (Tate) that the eye-catching things are the ones to concentrate on. My favourite would be diagrams, showing how easy it is to change the diagram root and hide or expand branches. Most people will be familiar with the idea of a family tree in diagram form so they will easily grasp what it's about.
I completely agree with that, I (and many others judging from comments I see on here) use a diagram as their main entry point when looking at information and adding new data - just a double click to open the individual properties window, and with well planned diagram icons you can easily see what sources you have and where there are holes. And yes, of course the FHUG!!
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will make a notes page so that I can give it to the group. Really helpful
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families