* Apps for Android

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Apps for Android

Post by Jane »

I am tinkering with writing an App for my Android to view (and possibly update) Family Historian gedcoms.

It may never happen, but I would appreciate some feedback on the following

1. How important is it to be able to edit data while out, would a simple add notes to records be sufficient, if you could then review the notes against your database when you get home.

2. Media, with the small capacity of devices to store large amounts of media, I was thinking of pushing the media to a "private store" such as a users personal space (eg Dropbox or one drive etc) which would mean media would not be available offline, but could be accessed when internet is available? I could add a small thumbnail of "faces", but all other media would be launched from the stored location.

Are there any must have features you would like to see?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Apps for Andriod

Post by Valkrider »

Jane

For me the notes option would be fine.

The media option also is a great idea.

A nice to have would be the option to print reports and charts to a local airprinter. Also a gedcom export would be nice to have too.
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: Apps for Android

Post by jimlad68 »

I very much believe in creating a clone rather than syncing, so for me the important thing would be a good FH/Gedcom viewer.

So for me your 'note' idea sounds good, however what might be more flexible (and already written) would be 'pushing?' the note to say Google keep (which can also record images etc), especially if the keep note included some FH data (name, record id, etc). This can then automatically sync to cloud and hence PC for copy/paste etc.

I have not tried any, but a search for GEDCOM on Google Play, lists a few apps.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Usually if I'm out of the house doing serious research, I'm just using printed paper or Evernote. I doubt very much whether I'd ever want to do "proper" updating of the GEDCOM file out of the house - if I did, it's probably in the evening, on the laptop, using FH via Dropbox.

Where I do use non-FH access outside, it tends to be in a more opportunistic manner, such as in a graveyard asking, "Is that one of my lot?" For that, GEDCOM access via a viewer with decent Find facility suffices for me - I'm currently on GedStar Pro but since it needs action from me to convert a copy and sync, it's actually an old version of my data....

I guess writing notes that would link up back at base would be ample.
Adrian
Denis
Gold

Post by Denis »

This would be a very welcome app to have - thank you for considering it!

I don't think I'd want to risk modifying the GEDCOM file from my phone, but the "notes" option would be fantastic: ability to store text and photos so that they can be easily incorporated into the FH project later on. I use OneNote a lot for this, and it syncs automatically between Android and Windows.

My FH projects are on OneDrive and are therefore accessible wherever a data connection is available. It's possible to make individual files or whole folders available on your phone offline (and I've done this for the GEDCOM itself), but I suspect a whole FH Media folder would eat too much into a device's limited storage.

I'm currently using GEDexplorer which works quite well in an un-flashy sort of way and is adequate for quickly checking your existing information. The developer kindly added support for OneDrive, so I can now load the GEDCOM file when out and about, without needing to sync it manually beforehand. It doesn't, however, understand a FH project, so is unable to display media. That's where I'm hoping you'll be able to take it a step or two further!
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Jane,

For me a viewer would be fine. I don't update my file on my phone or tablet. The ability to keep notes would be great. I used Family Bee until it quit working on my Samsung tablet. Now I use Gedstar.

I think for me the most important thing would be for it to be able to use the FH .ged file without conversion or having to do any kind of export. Just use the native .ged file. If that were the case I could just use Google Drive and DriveSync to keep the .ged file up to date on my phone and tablet at all times.

A simple graph view and family view (like the focus window) would be needed as well.
ColinH
Gold

Post by ColinH »

Jane

I've only just seen this post and I would very much welcome Android app. I came to FH from Roots Magic and I really miss having access from my smartphone.

It would be useful to be able to edit on the move. Whenever I go to family events, I currently have to print the whole thing out, and it's not always convenient or possible to unroll the chart along the length of someone's garden or hallway. It also uses a lot of paper and ink.

The most important feature would be automatic and, as near as possible, real time synchronisation. I would be happy to use Dropbox for this. In fact, I already store my FH data files there, which enables me to use both my desktop and laptop with the same data file. I did try some of the gedcom viewers on my smartphone some time back but synchronisation was too big an issue and I stopped doing it.

As I said, Roots Magic has an app and I think My Heritage and maybe others as well have this. So FH is lagging behind a little.

Thanks for considering this; I hope it materialises.

Colin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Not a solution for everyone, but to view my data on my phone I use my website.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Wish List Ref 478 Family Historian Version for Android and also for iPad/iPhone and Apple Mac have existed for over 8 years and are in top 20 of Wish List items, but don't hold your breath.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I use Gedstar pro which the designer made free to users when he retired and stopped supporting it.

Gedstar pro is read only and cannot be edited. But it does not require internet access and provides full sources, notes and I think it would include images, if I chose.

Gedstar Pro must be installed on one's computer and also on one's phone.

The steps by which I put a fh tree onto my android are as follows.

1. On a Windows computer with fh - Export a Gedcom using Mike's plug in, Gedcom selecting the export designed for Gedstar.
2. Use Gedstar to select that gedcom, convert it (takes a bit of time on a large tree) and send the converted tree to drop box. Gedstar offers this option and my drop box has a designated folder for Gedstar.
3. My android phone using wi fi or data locates the Gedstar tree in drop box and if you tap it, that opens the Gedstar app to view it. Once on the phone one does not need an internet connection to view the Gedstar file.

Gedstar allows one to have multiple trees on one's phone - so one can choose which one to take with one.
My problem is that I use multiple trees and may not have all of them with me all the time.

Any new App would need to cut down the time taken - because Gedstar Pro is pretty good. Since it is free, Jane, I suggest you download it and have a look.

I make any notes using Evernote - Jane I am a little dubious about making major edits to an fh Project on one's phone as that would require exporting the file back into fh - But an additional dated note might be useful.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Similar to what Evelyn has described, the Export Gedcom File Plugin also supports Roots Magic and Heredis and MyHeritage plus their Android apps, all of which have free versions, although some have size restrictions.
musikino
Family Historian: V6

Post by musikino »

My heart aches for a Family Historian App. I used to use Ancestry.com and they have a most excellent App. In fact it is easier to use and access than the web site. It is very handy to carry around and other family members can download it and have access to the tree at no extra cost.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is somewhat easier for Ancestry to have a mobile app because the Family Tree database is online.
You could continue using that by uploading the FH GEDCOM file to an Ancestry Family Tree for free; no subscription.
Use the Export Gedcom File Plugin using plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:anc_ancestry_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree mode.

For FH it is a bit different. The Project would have to be transferred to the mobile app somehow, probably using the GEDCOM and Media files, which you would also have to send to family members.

There are two Wish List entries you could Vote for:
Ref 467 Family Historian version for iPhone / iPad
Ref 478 Family Historian Version for Android
AndrewEllis
Platinum

Post by AndrewEllis »

I'd love an app that could view the Family Historian Gedcom directly and make notes for review and entering later into the program on my desktop. The ability to actually edit the data would be even better.
Currently I view my tree using either Ancestry or TreeView but having to convert and upload the GEDCOM is a pain and so I don't do it that often. So the trees I can view on my phone or Android tablet are always out of date.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Andrew, I am not sure what you mean by "view the Family Historian Gedcom directly".

Are you talking about using cloud storage such as OneDrive or Google Drive so that FH on your PC and the Android app both access the same Project data including not just the GEDCOM but also the Media files?

Otherwise, it will always involve some sort of data transfer from PC to Android tablet.
The Export Gedcom File Plugin does offer several such opportunities, and all of them are free.
  • plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:gsp_gedstar_pro_for_android|> Export Gedcom File ~ (GSP) GedStar Pro for Android works well
  • plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:her_heredis_by_bsd_concept|> Export Gedcom File ~ (HER) Heredis by BSD Concept & both iOS and Android apps
  • plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:rmt_roots_magic_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (RMT) Roots Magic Tree that has both iOS and Android apps
  • plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:myh_myheritage_family_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree synchs iOS and Android apps via online tree, so fairly complex
jeremyhills
Diamond

Post by jeremyhills »

When I try to run Gedcom, I get the message "Line#1 in GEDCOM file does not have a level number" Then File TCGedParse.cpp, line 209

Can you help, please. Jeremy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Jeremy, but you will have to give us a few more clues!
What Android app are you trying to open the GEDCOM file with?
That type of message usually means the app does not recognise the Unicode UTF-16 character encoding used by FH.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I use an app called GedExplorer which handles FH files well.

In addition I use the FolderSyncPro app to sync the contents of my FH Project folder from my Desktop PC on to my Phone and Tablet when I am on my local network.

This means my Project is always up to date on my Android devices. I can't edit, but it's a good app to view and check stuff when I am out and about or chatting to family (remember when we did that face to face :( )
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

GEDexplorer is listed in fhugdownloads:contents:utility_gedexplorer|> Utility ~ GedExplorer.
It loads FH V6 Project GEDCOM and Media files.
It runs on both iOS and Android.
jeremyhills
Diamond

Post by jeremyhills »

I mean GEDSTAR!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jeremy, as I requested before, some more clues would help us understand your problem.

So I am guessing you are using the Export Gedcom File Plugin with the (GSP) GedStar Pro for Android option as explaind in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:gsp_gedstar_pro_for_android|> Export Gedcom File ~ (GSP) GedStar Pro for Android.
Do you get the error when running GedStar Pro for Windows to convert GEDCOM to Android SQLite Database format?

I suspect you are trying to use the FH V6 Project GEDCOM file in its default Unicode UTF-16 encoding, which is not supported by GedStar Pro.

Instead, select the <ProjectName> GSP UTF8.ged file from the Project's ...\Public\Export\ folder.
jeremyhills
Diamond

Post by jeremyhills »

Thanks - I now have a converted file but I am having trouble getting Gedstar to open it! It defaults to Family Bee and I haven't yet found a way to change the default to Gedstar- I will keep on trying!! Jeremy
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jeremy!?! Again you are short on clues!?!

How are transferring the Android SQLite Database file to your Android device?

If you use the USB cable connection method you can force it into the Internal storage\GedStarPro folder on Android where GedStar Pro presumably cannot ignore it.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:gsp_gedstar_pro_for_android#import_details|> Export Gedcom File ~ (GSP) GedStar Pro for Android > Import Details.
jeremyhills
Diamond

Post by jeremyhills »

Mike - many thanks for your support, and sorry I am making it difficult for you. I have decided to remove Gedstar from all my equipment and then re-install as a clean install with just one converted file following the instructions to the letter! I hope this works, Jeremy
AndrewEllis
Platinum

Post by AndrewEllis »

After trying Gedstar which I used back in my Palm Pilot days, I've followed Jane and installed GEDexplorer.

However I'm struggling to get the app to display the media files

I'VE copiedmy files to my SD card in a Directory called Family Historian. Within that directory the media files are in a subfolder called Media and then further subfolders inside his such as people, census etc.

GEDexplorer shows the data fine but the images don't appear and are replaced by the message

Could not load image:
/data/use/0/nu.sundin.gedexplorer/cache/.temp/Media/People/Andrew Ellis.jpg

for example, the file being "Andrew Ellis.jpg" in the Media/People/ folder

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong please?

Many thanks

Andrew