* Heredis app for iOS

The place to post news about genealogy products and services that might be of interest to other Family Historian users.
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Heredis app for iOS

Post by AnneEast »

It seems that an update to the Heredis app that I think some of you use for iphone and ipad is causing a big problem. It appears to be no longer possible to import a gedcom file by email or itunes. Over the last few years I have done this a number of times to update the data on my ipad. I use it to show family members and as an aide memoire when I'm in an Archive. It never was a problem until now. The gedcom file starts to load and then the app crashes. Open it again and the title of the file is there but no people in it!

I have found comments from people on the Apple app review, the Heredis website forums and the Heredis Facebook page. Sadly there is little or no reaction from Heredis itself!

Anyone else have the problem? Anyone found a solution before I delete it and look for an alternative?
Anne
Malchal
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Re: Heredis app for iOS

Post by Malchal »

If you do find a good alternative I’d love to hear about it please.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As far as I am aware there is nothing that competes with the Heredis product for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.

The Heredis free trial is NOT time limited, and although restricted to 50 Individuals created internally, it allows unlimited GEDCOM import and iOS & Android tablet sharing.
Heredis supports Witnessed/Shared Events as in FH, but does NOT support full Unicode/UTF-8 character set.

The nearest is MyHeritage whose free version is NOT time limited, and the Windows based Family Tree Builder is unrestricted, but the web site is restricted to 500 Individuals and the web site is needed to support the iOS & Android apps.
That restriction on Individuals can be increased via the Premium (2500) and PremiumPlus (unlimited) subscriptions.
MyHeritage does NOT support Witnessed/Shared Events, but does support full Unicode/UTF-8 character set.

Both are well supported by the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
See plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:output_formats|> Export Gedcom File ~ Output Formats.

Further thoughts...
See Heredis Forum Import of GEDCOM to iPad problem that in June promised new patch coming soon.
Try a simple GEDCOM such as exported from the Family Historian Sample Project using the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
Can you transfer the GEDCOM file to the Windows based Heredis program, and then share that family tree with the iOS or Android app, thus avoiding the import of GEDCOM directly into the app?
See http://heredis.com/forums/en/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4222 that suggests that solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

I had an answer from them in the end saying they expected to do an update 'soon'. I can still access the previous uploads I did ..... fortuntately I didn't delete them before trying to upload a new version!
Away with all the family now and they're not showing much interest in family history. C'est la vie!!!!
Anne
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Heredis have updated their app today and it now imports Gedcoms without issue. :D
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Sadly not in my case. The App still crashes almost immediately without importing anything except the file name, just as it did before. :(

Edit: Apologies! I didn't realise I needed go delete the App and download it again. Had thought the update would be automatic. All is fully loaded now.

Anne
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Anne

I just did the update as normal without deleting and it worked fine on my iPhone SE.
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

I was doing it onto my new iPad which has iOS 11 so maybe its different. Whatever, its sorted now! :)
Anne
vikaskundu
Family Historian: V6

Post by vikaskundu »

I updated my IPhone 7 from iOS 10 to the latest iOS 11.3 today and now as I open the Heredis app it only loads a white blank screen during the startup and gradually after few seconds crashes itself automatically. Any solution?
Vikas
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have an iPhone SE and have updated to iOS 11.3 and Heredis still works fine for me. It may be worth reinstalling the Heredis app.
virt1956
Family Historian: V6

Post by virt1956 »

I recommend you to try the application Heritio (Windows only). In my case, GEDCOM import works fine for me.