* Gedcom Census FAQs

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census FAQs

Post by NickWalker »

Gedcom Census Frequently Asked Questions (v2)

Questions answered in this FAQ:

1. What is Gedcom Census?

2. From where can I download Gedcom Census and how much does it cost?

3. What is the latest version?

4. Can I edit a census entry created by Gedcom Census?

5. I've already created a census entry using Gedcom Census but I missed someone off by accident, how do I add them to the census entry?

6. Can Gedcom Census add new individuals to my GEDCOM file?

7. Can the author of Gedcom Census write a similar program for BMDs?

8. Where can I get support for Gedcom Census?

9. When is the next version due out and what new features will it contain?

10. I have version 4 of Family Historian. Gedcom census doesn't now seem to recognise the new people I've added to my file or census entries I'm adding do not appear in Family Historian

1. What is Gedcom Census?

Gedcom Census is a free application designed to be used with Calico Pie's Family Historian to allow faster and more convenient creation of census source records with occupation attributes, census and birth events linked to the sources. Gedcom Census is in no way associated with or endorsed by Calico Pie.

Gedcom Census was first developed early in 2004 and the various versions since, all available exclusively through the FHUG website, have proved to be very popular with over 12,000 downloads so far.

Use Gedcom Census to record census entries that apply to your family. Gedcom Census will create appropriate sources, census events, occupations and births and will link images of the census too. All of this information is recorded using the Family Historian GEDCOM format and can be included in Family Historian reports, queries, trees, etc. Gedcom Census has comprehensive help documentation and features to make it easy to use and to accommodate different methods of recording census entries.

2. From where can I download Gedcom Census and how much does it cost?

Gedcom Census is available from the Family Historian Users Group Website (http://www.fhug.org.uk) in the Downloads area, within the Gedcom section. Gedcom Census is freeware but there are facilities within the program to give a donation to the author. This is always appreciated and does encourage him to continue to develop and support it.

3. What is the latest version?

The latest version is 6.0.6

4. How do I edit a census entry created by Gedcom Census?

Gedcom Census allows the creation of census records but does not support editing records. Once the census records have been added they can only be edited or deleted through Family Historian. The way this is done depends on the type of edit that is required as well as the census recording method used in Gedcom Census (see FAQ 5 for a common issue).

5. I've already created a census entry using Gedcom Census but I missed someone off by accident, how do I add them to the census entry?

This has to be done in Family Historian.

a) Open up the properties for one of the people who was included in the census entry (e.g. the head of household) and click on the ‘Events’ tab.

b)Select the relevant census event

c) Now look at the icons under the list of events, you will see that the second one shows a label ‘Copy Events/Attributes’. Click on this button

d) Now find the person you want to add to this census entry and again look at the Events for them.

e) Now click on the third icon ‘Paste’.
This will cause them to get the same census event as the other person and they will automatically be linked to the correct source. You will need to change their age as recorded in the census.

f) If the new person also had an occupation recorded you should do the same as above only this time copying the occupation event from the head of the household for the census in question.

6. Can Gedcom Census add new individuals to my GEDCOM file?

No, the individual needs to be added using Family Historian. As explained under Gedcom Census Help, if you are part way through entering a census record and realise that you need to add someone to your file you should do the following:

a) Open Family Historian, or select it in the task bar if it is already open (you do not need to close Gedcom Census)

b) If Family Historian has a message box warning that the file has been modified by another application then choose the option to reload it.

c) Add the new person to your file and save the changes. You only need to enter their name and sex.

d) Select Gedcom Census in the task bar. A message will appear to tell you that the file is being reloaded.

e) The new person will now be in the 'All individuals' list in Gedcom Census and will also appear in the 'Immediate Family' list if the new person is closely related to the first individual already selected.

f) You can now continue to enter the census record.

7. Can the author of Gedcom Census write a similar program for BMDs?

He thinks so yes and he intends to do so one day.

8. Where can I get support for Gedcom Census?

The Help file contents page has the author’s contact email address. Although the author does not promise to offer support, in practice he has always endeavoured to help anyone who has contacted him so far. Alternatively questions can be asked in the Gedcom Census forum at the FHUG website.

9. When is the next version due out and what new features will it contain?

The latest version was released at the beginning of March 2008. See this news article for details: Gedcom Census Version 6.0.6

An entirely new version is currently under development and should be released later in 2009.

10. I have version 4 of Family Historian. Gedcom census doesn't now seem to recognise the new people I've added to my file or census entries I'm adding do not appear in Family Historian

Family Historian 4 has probably created a project and copied your GEDCOM file into it. You need to let Gedcom Census know where this new file is. Carry out the following 3 steps in Gedcom Census:

a) Make sure in menu Tools->Options that 'Always ask whether this file should be loaded as default' is ticked.

b) Now go to File->Open another GEDCOM family history file

c) Within the Open dialogue that appears navigate to your Documents folder ('My Documents' if not using Vista or Windows 7) and then into the 'Family Historian Projects' folder. Now navigate into the project you are using and then into the subfolder that has the same name as the project but ends in .fh_data. Select the GEDCOM file in there and all should now work!

Nick Walker
2nd August 2009

ID:1630
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/