* Gedcom Census

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
ronsab
Gold
Family Historian: None

Gedcom Census

Post by ronsab »

Hi Nick, good evening.
I think I am now getting the hang of your wonderful package but I have come up with a further two questions which I would like your advice on.
1.When entering the wife's name, should it be her maiden name rather than the name which appears on the census? It would seem to me to be correct as that is the only name on the records.
2. If I have completed say 6 returns, how can I view return number 1.? Is it better to print each return as it is prepared?
Thank you for your time
Ron

ID:1728
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

In Gedcom Census you select people from the 'All Individuals' list, the 'Immediate Family' list or via the 'Find Individual' screen. These people need to have already been created in Family Historian. The convention in family history is that individual records for women are always created with their maiden names.

If you are using the 'Source Text' box to create a census transcript then obviously as you are trying to create a record of the source information you should type in exactly what it says in the actual census record and for married women this is likely to be their married name. Therefore you are likely to select a woman with her maiden name from the list but she will be typed in using her married name into the Source Text.

To view the census records you have already created go into the Sources tab on the Family Historian records window and right-click on any of the relevant sources and select properties.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ronsab
Gold
Family Historian: None

Gedcom Census

Post by ronsab »

Many thanks again Nick, I will have a go later on in the day
Ron
zrlb
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Gedcom Census

Post by zrlb »

I have just started using the latest GC version, using method 2 as I did with the previous version.
I have now found that I cannot see the census entry in the 'text from source' field for each individual, as I could in the previous version, but have to look at it in the notes tab of the records window. I cannot see it in the Sources tab, properties as in your reply above.
This means that I have to know the address in advance, ie look at the individual's census event first, then look at the note.
This is very awkward, adding complexity. I can also see that with increasing volumes of notes for each census addressthat I add, finding the relevant note is going to get more difficult.
How can I get the transcript into the individual's record without having multiple versions?
NickWalker
Megastar

Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

I think you must have chosen the new option under Method 2 options, 'Record census source text in a shared note'. Just untick that to make sure method 2 works as before. Also make sure none of the 'miscellaneous' options are tikced.

Hopefully that answers the question but I feel I ought to say a bit more...

As I mention in the help file for Gedcom Census if you do use method 2 and record transcripts then putting the transcripts into the 'text from source' for each census event is not recommended. Most people who use method 2 do so because they don't want to record a transcript. If you are using method 2 and for example you have 10 people in a particular household and record a trasncript you get 10 copies of the transcript recorded in the file. This is a waste of disk space and if you later find you made a mistake in the transcript you need to amend the mistake in 10 places.

If you use method 2 but want to record transcripts then I recommend the 'Record census source text in a shared note' is ticked. This means that rather than keeping multiple copies of the transcript within the census event source citations, it keeps a single shared note that all the citations link to.

However ultimately I recommend method 1
Nick Walker

zrlb
Gold

Gedcom Census

Post by zrlb »

I am still slightly puzzled, as on the census options Recording Method 2 tab, it states that 'users who wish to record transctipts are recommended to use recording method 2'!!

I find that having the transcript handy for individuals is very useful, as I refer to them frequently, but on reflection I'd rather have smaller GEDCOM files.

How can I change entries from the old software to shared notes?
NickWalker
Megastar

Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

Yes I noticed that yesterday, it is a typo, sorry about that it should say method 1. It will be fixed in the next update. If you read the help file (Which recording method?) it explains the reason why method 1 is recommended.

Changing between methods isn't so easy unfortunately and it would take a long time to do (and explain!) assuming you have quite a number of census records by now. I don't want to overstate the issue of having a larger file...

If, for example, we consider an average census entry to be roughly 500 characters in length this is about 0.5k of memory. If an average census household has 6 people in it and you had 200 census records then using either Method 1 or Method 2 with shared notes would require around 100k to store the transcripts whereas Method 2 with local notes would require around 600k. Even for 200 census records this extra size is only roughly the same as the memory that a single jpg census image takes up.

So unless you feel you want to spend a long time reorganising your file you are probably better off carrying on as you are. I try to encourage people starting out recording their census information to use method 1 but the reason that method 2 was included in GC was to support people who already had a lot of census records recorded in that way.
Nick Walker

zrlb
Gold

Gedcom Census

Post by zrlb »

Nick, thanks very much for your explanation about computer memory.
I have only added a handful of records with the new update before I realised the difference.
As I have well over 100 census entries already, I'll carry on using the old method.