* Surname when widow is head of household

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
philjo
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Surname when widow is head of household

Post by philjo »

Nick,

If I create a new census record in Gedcom Census 5.3, where a widowed female is the head of the household, the autotext carries through her maiden name as her surname.
Is it possible to get it to use the surname of her last husband?

Ideally, it should also identify the married status of Widow from the death date of her husband.

Similarly, I entered one for a single person 2 years before he first got married, but autotext said he was married as the marriage record already existed in the GEDCOM.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

ID:2290
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

I could do that but it would take a lot of extra work as Gedcom Census doesn't currently make note of death or burial information or indeed marriage facts. I'd then need to sort all the marriages into date order, deal with marriages where no date recorded. Make note of burial, cremation, death dates, etc. and probably several other things that I've not mentioned.

The Auto-text feature was only ever designed to give an approximation to save a little bit of time when transcribing. It is rare it will ever get it entirely correct.

However, I will add it to the 'wishlist' and as always thanks for your suggestions, I do welcome them.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Hannah1871
Gold
Family Historian: None

Post by Hannah1871 »

If I create a new census record in Gedcom Census 5.3, where a widowed female is the head of the household, the autotext carries through her maiden name as her surname.  
Is it possible to get it to use the surname of her last husband?
Hi Jeremy
I have actually changed the autotext within Gedcom Census to suit myself when it has made an incorrect assumption. Perhaps doing this may help.

Thanks Nick for a fabulous programme. I really don't know what I would do without it!
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Hannah

Yes that's the idea of Auto-text. Gedcom Census fills it in using some very basic rules and then you edit it to make it match the actual census transcript.

Thanks for the kind words

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
philjo
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

Post by philjo »

Nick,

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to edit the text in the auto text screen.

Jeremy