* Every Census says its the 1841

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Nickm
Family Historian: None

Every Census says its the 1841

Post by Nickm »

I have recently started using GC but find that every entry when viewed in Family Historian Events and Source panes, says its the 1841. See attached screen shot. How can I fix this?Image

ID:2488
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Post by Jane »

I suspect this is not a gedcom census problem, it looks as if you have customised your census fact set sentence and included 1841 hard coded as the year in it rather than the date.

eg your template says

{individual} appeared in the census of 1841 {place}

rather than

{individual} appeared in the census {date} {place}

Obviously this will result in all the sentences showing 1841 as the year
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Nickm

Post by Nickm »

Hi Jane, I havent knowingly changed this. I created Custom Events for each census before using GC. If I create a new census Event for someone using these it gets the sentence '{individual} appears in the {label} {place}'. Which works fine. See attached screen shot.

Should I have set up a Sentence for use when using the GC? If so where?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Gedcom Census doesn't support this kind of use of custom events for census records. It just uses the standard census event.

Now what you seem to have done is renamed the standard census event to be 'Census of 1841'. The clue is that the third 'Fact Set' column in your last screenshot says 'Standard'. All the other census records say Custom. Gedcom Census uses the standard census event which is why it is connecting all your census records to this one.

What's wrong with using the standard census event? What advantage do you think you will gain from these custom events?

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Nickm

Post by Nickm »

I changed this when I first got FH before I found GC as it made it more obvious which census it was referring to. I have changed the text back and it appears to be OK. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, but hopefully its sorted.

Do the FH Census Flags work on the Census tag and the Date?

Many thanks
Nick
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Do the FH Census Flags work on the Census tag and the Date?
Yes - but obviously they will not pick up your custom events.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Yes you can associate flags with census dates and countries. Gedcom Census will then automatically create the relevant flag when you create a census record.

If you're going to be using GC for your census recording then I would suggest deleting the other custom census events, if you haven't already, as you won't need them.

Hope this helps

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/