* Gedcom Census

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Greenhayes
Family Historian: None

Gedcom Census

Post by Greenhayes »

Greetings, I fear I am struggling with Gedcom Census. I have successfully entered some 50 Census reports but for some reason the last 2 or 3 have just disappeared. The log shows they have been entered but they are not in FH and it does not seem possible to retrieve them in Gedcom Census. If they have gone into my gedcom file how can they be recovered or what should I do now because I am quite mystified.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
With kindest regards
Les Brown

ID:2478
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

I suspect you've added the entries to a copy of your file rather than the one you are looking at in Family Historian.

You can check the path to the file you are using in Family Historian by looking under the File menu at File Statistics and noting the file path.

Now have a look at your Gedcom Census log and for the missing entries see the path to the file to which they were added. These should be the same. If they are different you would need to open the correct file by choosing File->Open

I can't think of any other reason why entries would not be appearing in your file and I've not had any problems like this reported.

If you need more help please ask

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Greenhayes

Gedcom Census

Post by Greenhayes »

Dear Nick, many thanks for your advice which has enabled me to find the lost entries. May I also take the opportunity to ask why the address as entered when completing Gedcom Census does not show in FH so I have adopted the practice of including it as an extra line when viewing it in FH or perhaps there is another way to do it.
Sorry to be a nuisance
Kindest regards
Les Brown
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

If you fill in the address field it appears in the address field for the census event in Family Historian.

However, the address doesn't appear in the address field for the occupation attribute. My reasoning for this is that an occupation address should be where the person worked. Just because they are living at an address on census night doesn't mean they worked at that address too. On balance they are likely to have worked in the same place so by default Gedcom Census does fill in the place field (there is an option not to fill in the place at all).
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Greenhayes

Gedcom Census

Post by Greenhayes »

Nick, Thank you very much for clarifying the situation and sharing your thinking which helps enormously
Kindest regards Les Brown