* Getting Census entry to appear on printouts

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Debbie
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Getting Census entry to appear on printouts

Post by Debbie »

I am trying out FH (amongst others) with a view to migrating from Brothers Keeper which I have used for many years. I have to say that the GedCom utility is swinging it in their favour at the moment as it is such a useful program!

I have always like to add an entire census transcript to the head of the household's record and have been able to print this out on family group sheets - it is really useful to see which children are still living at home etc. I was wondering if there was a way of printing out the census information you enter with GedCom, in the same format as you enter it, on say the family group sheets.

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else, but I can't see it!

Many thanks.

Debbie

ID:2770
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Assuming you are using the default/recommended 'recording method 1', then the transcript appears in a source which is linked to all the various census events, occupations and births that are created for the census entry. If you select the options on a report and under the sources tab, tick to include 'Text from source', then the transcript will appear in the report.

I should warn you that it probably won't be formatted correctly. Currently there is no satisfactory method to format tables of data in Family Historian reports. I'm hopeful that before too long this facility will be available in Family Historian though.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ChrisBowyer
Superstar
Family Historian: None

Post by ChrisBowyer »

We also like to record who's also there with the head of the household, but do it as a note on the residence rather than a census event, and have a custom sentence so in narrative reports (narrative reports are wonderful... we use them all the time to swap information with contacts) you get a sentence like 'in 1881 he was living at Some Street in Sometown with wife Mary, children John, James and Sarah, and mother-in-law Ann Smith.' (the note is the bit starting with 'with', the rest is generated by FH from the data fields).

The point is you can record the names as they appear on the census, rather than who you think they are, which is an enormous help when you look at it later and wonder for example how you decided which were his children rather than his cousin of the same name's. We like to treat the transcript of the census and/or copy of the original as a source rather than an event. And the sentence structure is much more accessable to non-genealogy-enthusiast but nevertheless interested relations.
Debbie
Platinum

Post by Debbie »

Thank you both for your replies - another plus in favour of FH is this wonderful 'community' that seems to exist, sharing their expertise!

Yes, Nick, I was using recording method 1, and your instructions worked a treat. Shame about the formatting though! I overcame this by entering the information with commas between the fields instad of tabs, so it looked neater when it printed.

Thanks for your suggestion too Chris. I haven't yet got my head around 'custom' anything as I am still learning the basics! Sounds like a good idea though. I agree it is so handy to be able to refer to the original transcript to see the entire household when you are reading through your notes. I have found quite a few of our ancestors 'lodging' with a seemingly unrelated family in one census and then marrying into the family later on! It does help to build a picture of their lives doesn't it?