* Problem

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
hf
Gold
Family Historian: None

Problem

Post by hf »

I have just tried to use GedCom Census for the first time. I followed the instructions (printed off) very carefully.
After doing the Save how does the information get to FH? I assumed it was automatic but there are no census details in my FH files.
Would appreciate comment and help.

ID:2822
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Problem

Post by NickWalker »

The family history file you use in Family Historian should be the same file that you open in Gedcom Census. Then when you save the details in Gedcom Census they will be available in Family Historian.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
hf
Gold

Problem

Post by hf »

Hi,

Thanks for this.

I am using the same file but am not getting the GedCom info taken into it.

H
NickWalker
Megastar

Problem

Post by NickWalker »

So in Gedcom Census you are selecting some individuals, entering ages and occupations, and all the other details then saving. Then when you look at the file in family Historian and look at the properties for an individual who was selected, under the events tab you will see a census event, an occupation if one was entered and a birth event if one was created in Gedcom Census.

Nick Walker

jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Problem

Post by jmurphy »

I had the same thing happen the first time I used Gedcom Census.

I usually have both Gedcom Census and Family Historian open at the same time, so if there are people on the census who are not in my Family Historian file yet.

After saving a census record with Gedcom Census, if you switch to Family Historian, you should see a message that some other program has modified your database and asking you if you want to accept/save those changes.

Be sure to say 'yes', otherwise Family Historian will discard the events which Gedcom Census has just created.

The first time I used GC, I hit the wrong button by accident and said 'no' and wiped out all my work. [oops]

Jan
NickWalker
Megastar

Problem

Post by NickWalker »

If you do have Family Historian open at the same time as Gedcom Census then make sure you click the save button in Family Historian before entering data into Gedcom Census.
Nick Walker

hf
Gold

Problem

Post by hf »

Thanks all,

I have sorted the issue and all now seems to be in order.

hf