* Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Post by gerrynuk »

I have downloaded the latest version of Gedcom Census and very good it is too - thank you Nick for your continuing work to improve this great piece of software.

Just two small points - when I click the save button, 2 messages flash up on the screen very quickly - too quickly for my aging eyes to read them. Are they anything I should be concerned about?

Second, and this is not really about Gedcom Census, I saw somewhere on this list that there was a possibility of a similar program for inputting BMDs. Is this still in development? It would be another extremely useful piece of software.

Best wishes,

Gerry

ID:2840
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Post by jmurphy »

Nick, I wonder if this might be the message which offers a user the option to cancel loading a file which you mentioned in your email to the testers on 1 Mar 2008. You said you had changed the time after which it appears to 3 seconds from 2 seconds and that 'it shouldn’t even be seen by those with fairly small files on modern PCs'.

Well, as you know, I have a fairly small file but NOT a modern PC, and I'm seeing something flash by, also. It does go on and off quickly, so I can't be 100% sure.

Jan
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Post by NickWalker »

As Jan says this is the 'cancel' window. Some people have huge files on often slow computers that take 30 secs+ to load in and they get the option to cancel the loading of the file. In theory it should only appear after 3 seconds if the file has not finished loading. I've just noticed that actually I made a typo in the code at some point late in the testing and its currently set to appear after .3 of a second instead! Oops, will be fixed in the next version.

Regarding your second question. I do have some quite clear ideas in my head as to how I would tackle the 'Gedcom BMD' idea but it won't be appearing in the near future.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Post by gerrynuk »

Thanks Nick & Jan.

It is good to get such a quick and comprehensive reply.

Gerry
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Gedcom Census v6.0.6

Post by jmurphy »

I thought this might be useful (or amusing) to post this for comparison.

I don't keep everyone in one big file -- I prefer to have separate files for different lines -- so my largest GEDCOM file is 1,920KB at the moment (303 people, around 200 sources, less than 150 notes, minimal repository information, less than a dozen submitters).

I will further embarrass myself by posting the specs of my poor old machine (courtesy of the free analysis program, Belarc Advisor):

Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
400 megahertz Intel Pentium II
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A08 01/06/00
192 Megabytes Installed Memory

I am grateful to Nick and Simon that their programs still run on this creaky old box. When I am running FH and GC together -- but nothing else -- I rarely have problems. If I am over-burdening the machine with both of them and three or four other programs at once -- well, then, all bets are off.

Jan