* Saving in Gedcom Census

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Marilyn
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Saving in Gedcom Census

Post by Marilyn »

Please can anyone help, just a bit puzzled.

I have downloaded version 6.0.6 of Gedcom census and have just started to try it out. I have put a family in the 1861 census, about 8 people and attached an image of the census, (it said something like get new image and attach to person in Family Historian) and then I saved it.

Problem is I cant find the census details or the image now, what am I doing wrong, is it supposed to be saved somewhere in FH or somewhere else altogether. I feel stupid but would be grateful to anyone who could advise me how to get my information back.

Also do you access Gedcom Census through FH or is it a programme on its own.

Thanks in advance

Marilyn
[confused]

ID:3142
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Saving in Gedcom Census

Post by Jane »

There are very detailed instructions for GC in the Knowledge Base. If you followed the instructions you should find the Census events against the 8 people you selected when you open your file in FH.

The two programs are not connected, but do work together. Just enter the data to your master file in GC and then open your file in FH to see the changes.

PS I have moved your post to the Gedcom Census forum and deleted your duplicate post.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Saving in Gedcom Census

Post by NickWalker »

Gedcom Census is a separate program to Family Historian. You need to make sure you are opening the same family history file in Gedcom Census as you use in Family Historian.

If you correctly added a census entry as you describe then you should see in Family Historian that each of your 8 people have census events attached for 7th April 1861, some may also have occupations for that date. They should all have citations linking to a census source. That source should have an image attached. If you're not familiar with sources and citations in Family Historian then really I think it is important that you read the manual about this.

Can I also suggest you select the Help menu in Gedcom Census and choose the 'Creating a Census Entry' page. This has various links to other help pages that you ought to follow as you read it.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Marilyn
Diamond

Saving in Gedcom Census

Post by Marilyn »

Managed to sort this, the Gedcom Census file wasnt the one I was using in FH, found the answer on another thread.

Thanks

Marilyn[smile]
Marilyn
Diamond

Saving in Gedcom Census

Post by Marilyn »

Thanks Jane and Nick, sorry to be a pain, your advice is much appreciated.

Marilyn