* GedcomCensus Multimedia

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Marilyn
Diamond
Family Historian: None

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by Marilyn »

Just received Family Historian for Christmas and love finding my way around it. There is just a little puzzle I cant get my head round, despite reading the instructions over and over again, if anyone could advise, I would be very grateful.

I type information in on Gedcom Census, save it and load an image of the census to Family Historian.

Should this image when linked to a particular person be among the other multimedia pictures I have associated with this person, I cant seem to find an easy way to view the census image without going all the way round the houses, i.e. opening up all the information about a person and clicking on the part where it says eg 1851 census, and even then sometimes it doesnt work. Am I missing something or is this the only way to do it. Is there a way to list all multimedia together, eg pictures and census images for any one person.

Sorry to be a nuisance but would really appreciate some advice on this, if you can understand what I mean.

Thanks

Marilyn

ID:3245
RSellens
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by RSellens »

Hi Marilyn,
The census images are not connected to the person as such, they are linked to the census 'source' record.
The only other way to what you have found is to display the 'multimedia' tab, and then view the images directly from there. if you don't have this tab displayed, goto the 'View' Menu, then select 'Record Lists' and finally 'Multimedia' and it should appear.

Richard
davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by davidm_uk »

Marilyn,
The multimedia image will be linked to the source for the census event, not to the individual themselves.

If you open the properties window for the individual, then click in the Events tab, you will see a list of events. Select one of the census events, open the Source Pane (click the scroll button just above the Age column) and you should see the source for that census event (which GedComCensus created). Select the source then click the camera button just below it and you should then see your multimedia image.

Unless the multimedia image is of the person, then it is normal to attached the image to a source record, and the source record is attached to the person (or maybe more than one person). A good example is a scanned image of a marriage certificate, where you might want to attached the source to the bride, the groom, each of their parents, and witnesses.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
Marilyn
Diamond

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by Marilyn »

Thank you Richard and David, it is a lot clearer now and easier to get to, I know it links the census to the person, but thought it may link the image too with all the normal multimedia.

Thanks a lot for your help

Marilyn
longfield
Gold

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by longfield »

I'm afraid I'm the same as Marylin was to begin with - I've tried to follow the directions given above, but haven't got a camera image against the source citation. I did expand the source to give details and can see that it has added the text I wrote, so at least I did somthing right! It's a very small box anyway.

Can you help a technophobe?

Many thanks - Denise
NickWalker
Megastar

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Denise

If you've attached an image of the census using the default settings in Gedcom Census then the image should be attached to the source record.

Which version of Family Historian do you have - click on the Help menu and 'About' to find out.

To see this in Family Historian 3.1.2 you could either:
a) go to the Sources tab on the main records window, double-click on the source for the census you created to view the properties window (or right click and select properties). You should see the source text you entered for the census entry. If you click the 'Objects' tab (still in the properties window) you should see the census image there.

or b) In the main records window, select one of the individuals in the census record you added and open up their properties.
Click on the Events tab and then click on the census event. Make sure the yellow scroll button is pressed in so that the source citations are showing. You should be able to click on the source citation for this census entry and either click on the camera icon to view it or the >> to see the source record (where the image will be under the Objects tab)

I could do some screen shots for you if this will help, but please do have a go first.

Regards

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
longfield
Gold

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by longfield »

Don't worry - I've worked out what was meant. But now how do I edit the original as I forgot to add the census ref (RG/ etc)

Sorry to be such a nimcom poop.

Denise[confused]
longfield
Gold

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by longfield »

Nick, I hadn't realised you had replied before I posted the 2nd time.

Thanks, I followed your option 2 so can now see the image. Where do I add the census RG etc I forgot to add when I originaly creating it?

Hugs & Kisses
Denise[oops]
NickWalker
Megastar

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by NickWalker »

Try creating a second census entry and put the reference in that time and then you can see how it will look. Depending on how you set the options in Gedcom Census the reference should come out as part of the source title. e.g.

Census 1861 Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire RG9/3368/7b (William Limb)

So if you view the source for the original census entry you should be able to edit the Title to include the reference.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
longfield
Gold

GedcomCensus Multimedia

Post by longfield »

Thanks Nick, I think I can manage that.

I've really appreciated your help. (OH impressed as well!)

Have a good day.

Denise