* GEDcom census and V4 projects/multimedia handling

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

GEDcom census and V4 projects/multimedia handling

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Nick,

Can I just check my understanding about how GEDcom census works with V4 projects/multimedia please?

When linking to a new image, even if that image is within the relevant Projects directory structure, it creates an 'absolute' link not a 'relative' one. If (like me) you're taken the decision to adopt projects and keep all the media in the relevant project folder, when you work with external file links, you see two sets of links for census images into the same file structure -- the relative ones created by FH when it created the project (and subequently) and the absolute ones created by GC. I'm not sure that it's a problem (other than offending my tidy soul) [smile] and it is easily worked around by remapping the gedcom links to be relative links but might catch people out if they're unaware.

Or have I missed a way of making GEDcom census create relative links?

Helen

ID:3702
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Helen

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere (too many threads being created at the minute to remember where!).

This is the first version of Family Historian to have relative file paths and as Gedcom Census was released long ago it doesn't know about them. [Incidentally if you open a family historian 4 file with relative paths in Family Historian 3 it can't cope with them and even the 'External File Links' tool can't do anything with them in FH3.]

I would have thought it sensible for Family Historian 4 to automatically remap absolute paths that point to the media folder into relative paths when the file is loaded but it doesn't. I think I'll suggest this to Simon.

When my entirely new application is released later this year to replace Gedcom Census (it won't be called Gedcom Census as the aim is that it will do more than just census records evemtually) then it will deal with relative paths and actually I've already built that in.

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I know what you mean about the volume of threads! And as I said, there's a workaround I can live with.

If you need a beta-tester for not-GEDcom census, I'd be delighted to help.[grin]
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Helen, you may live to regret telling me that! :)
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jmurphy
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by jmurphy »

When my entirely new application is released later this year to replace Gedcom Census (it won't be called Gedcom Census as the aim is that it will do more than just census records evemtually) then it will deal with relative paths and actually I've already built that in.
When you are ready for beta testers, my WinXP computer is ready to serve (someone has to represent the elderly computer contingent after all). [wink]

Jan
rodders
Platinum
Family Historian: None

Post by rodders »

I'll Beta test your product Nick - I love Gedcom Census (certainly a lot more than I love FH4!)[wink]