* Run Time Error

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
makfai
Famous
Family Historian: V6

Run Time Error

Post by makfai » 28 Oct 2009 17:53

I am using Gedcom Census 6.0.6; FH 4.02; Win XP.

I have experienced a run time error referring to modal and non-modal issues on several occasions.

This has occurred when - while using Gedcom Census - I have entered data into FH (e.g. while using GedCom Census I have just come across a name which I had not previously included in FH) and returned to Gedcom Census.

I have found that the auto-updating of Gedcom Census by FH with the new name may not take place immediately and, if I have moved on to another stage (e.g. entering a place of birth if prompted) then the run time modal error is triggered by the auto-update of Gedcom Census with the name I have just entered in FH.

This then closes Gedcom Census and all the data I have entered for that Census is lost. I have to start again.

I understand what is happening but wonder of there is anyway of triggering the update of Gedcom Census (like a refresh mode) which will then force it to update with the new data rather than me having to wait for it or, as I am doing, moving on and experiencing the run time data loss.

ID:4107
SOFTWARE
DESKTOP: FH6; AS; GenQuiry; Scrivener; Scapple; OneNote; Trello; FTM.
IPAD: GedFamilies; Mobile Family Tree; OneNote; Research Logger; Storyist; Ilaro; Inspiration; Index Card; MindNode; MagicalPad; Trello; and others!

NickWalker
Megastar

Run Time Error

Post by NickWalker » 28 Oct 2009 20:26

When you've added the person in Family Historian are you clicking on Save before going back into Gedcom Census? You can't really expect Gedcom Census to spot the new information in the file if you've not saved it! I expect that Family Historian has been set to automatically save every few mins and Gedcom Census is therefore being confronted with a change to the file when it wasn't expecting it (probably during the save process).

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com

makfai
Famous

Run Time Error

Post by makfai » 29 Oct 2009 09:53

Never gave the background workings re updating that much thought but that explains why sometimes the update is quick and other times not. It is being triggered by the auto-save in FH.

So all I have to do to trigger the update immediately of Gedcom Census is click on save in FH.
SOFTWARE
DESKTOP: FH6; AS; GenQuiry; Scrivener; Scapple; OneNote; Trello; FTM.
IPAD: GedFamilies; Mobile Family Tree; OneNote; Research Logger; Storyist; Ilaro; Inspiration; Index Card; MindNode; MagicalPad; Trello; and others!

NickWalker
Megastar

Run Time Error

Post by NickWalker » 29 Oct 2009 10:13

Yes that's right. You could set the autosave to save every minute and then the chances are that it will save in time, but safest just to remember to press Save before switching back to GC.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

http://www.ancestralsources.com