* Making a fresh start

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
Stevebye
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Making a fresh start

Post by Stevebye »

Nick,

I have uninstalled 6.0.6 and, believed, removed all related files. On reinstalling GC picked up my old working file by default and Source ID shows 172.

Obviuosly I haven't removed all related files, what am I looking for and how do I get Source ID back to 1.

TIA,
Steve

ID:4291
PeterR
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Making a fresh start

Post by PeterR »

Steve,
I personally don't think it matters what record IDs my Sources have.  As far as I can see, Gedcom Census starts with a Source ID which is one greater than the highest-numbered Source ID in the GEDCOM file you open.  Thus I guess your 'old working file' has at least one source record including one with ID 171.  I guess that the only way for Gedcom Census to start with Source ID=1 is to open a GEDCOM file containing zero Source records.[smile]
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
NickWalker
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Making a fresh start

Post by NickWalker »

Peter is correct. Gedcom Census looks for the highest source id in the file and uses the ID after that.

If you want to open a different file by default then look under Tools->Options and make sure that the File Open option 'Always ask whether file should be opened by default...' is ticked. Then open a new file in the usual way (File->Open on the main form).

To clear all settings you could just click on 'Default Settings' in the Options screen.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Stevebye
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Making a fresh start

Post by Stevebye »

Thanks both.