* Cannot save census entry

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
derekallum
Gold
Family Historian: None

Cannot save census entry

Post by derekallum »

I'm using FH4.0.2 and GC6.0.6 but get this error message when trying to save my first Census Entry:
'There was an error when attempting to back up your family historian file. Check that this file is not currently open in another application, that you have sufficient disk space and that you have sufficient file permissions to write data into the backup folder (C:UsersDerekDocumantesGedcom Census Backups and Log)'

I've done all these checks and it still doesn't work. What next? I don't want to abandon GC as it looks a boon, but if I can't save, I'll have to!
BTW I'm running with MS Vista on a Dell lap-top.

ID:4189
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Cannot save census entry

Post by Jane »

I suspect you do have permission problems, try creating a directory on the root eg c:gc-logs
and changing the setting in GC for where to save logs etc to see if that fixes the problem.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
NickWalker
Megastar

Cannot save census entry

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Derek

Can you try going into Tools and Options and then under the Backups section click on the change button and select a folder to save your backups into (in your documents folder is a good place).

If you still have problems please email me via Nick AT gedcomcensus DOT com (replacing the AT and DOT with @ and . )

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
derekallum
Gold

Cannot save census entry

Post by derekallum »

Thanks for the various suggestions. Somehow all my Documents folder was appearing inside my Desktop folder; not just a shortcut. This was totally throwing Gedcom Census (and probably lots of other apps as well). Now that's fixed, all is well.
NickWalker
Megastar

Cannot save census entry

Post by NickWalker »

That's good news. Thanks for letting us know

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker

derekallum
Gold

Cannot save census entry

Post by derekallum »

Sorry guys, back again. In my haste to prove the save worked I didn't fill all the form in... (Doh!) How do I get back to it to edit it? When I reload GC it comes up with the next source ID and I can't alter it to the one I want. I can't find anything in Help to help me. BTW All the individuals are there, I just hadn't edited the source text properly.
PeterR
Megastar

Cannot save census entry

Post by PeterR »

Derek, I generally just edit the 'Text from Source' in the relevant Source in FH directly.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
NickWalker
Megastar

Cannot save census entry

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Derek

Use Gedcom Census to enter census details but you have to edit them in Family Historian as Peter says.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker

derekallum
Gold

Cannot save census entry

Post by derekallum »

Thanks a lot guys. I get the picture. Hopefully I'm all clear now!
skeptik4321
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Cannot save census entry

Post by skeptik4321 »

I have a similar problem which has occurred since I moved my documents folder to my D drive. As far as I know I have changed the file paths correctly but it wont let me save, and I get an error message saying
There was an error moving the previous backups: Object variable or with block variable not set.
I don't understand what this means or how to sort out the problem and I would welcome some help.
Many thanks
Val
NickWalker
Megastar

Cannot save census entry

Post by NickWalker »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for a few days.

I'm hoping that you'll move over to using Ancestral Sources rather than continuing with Gedcom Census which I no longer develop. However, I'll drop you an email (via the address you have registered with this website) with a potential solution.

Best wishes

Nick
Nick Walker