* transferring to new computer

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
skeptik4321
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

transferring to new computer

Post by skeptik4321 »

I have a new computer with Windows 7. I have FH up and running and am wondering about Gedcom Census and Ancestral Sources. I had them both on my old computer although I have not yet started using AS. Could I just load AS on my new computer and would I be able to use it to read all the census pages I have put on GC? Or do I need both?
Thanks in advance
Val

ID:5477
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

First of all have you checked the Knowledge Base regarding How to Re-install Family Historian and Move Family Historian Settings at:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... tion_guide
If not, then you may discover that some of your FH settings may not be as expected.

You do not need to install Gedcom Census which is completely replaced and superseded by Ancestral Sources.

If you have changed from a 32-bit PC to a 64-bit PC or are still using AS V1 then you should download and install the V2 (64 bit version) of AS. See FHUG Home page under Top Downloads top right.

Regarding your last point, about reading Census pages put on GC, I believe you misunderstand how GC and AS work.
All the Census page details are actually stored in FH.
GC and AS only offer a more convenient way for you to capture all the data and enter it into FH.
See the Knowledge Base AS Tutorials for more information at:
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id ... rces:index
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
skeptik4321
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by skeptik4321 »

Thanks Tatewise, that was a very quick reply. I have checked the pages you suggest, and everything seems to be working as it should in FH.
I have now downloaded AS v2 so I am all organised now. Thanks again for your help.
Val