* Wish list item for new version of GCC

Gedcom Census is a discontinued program and has been replace by Ancestral Sources.
davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Wish list item for new version of GCC

Post by davidm_uk »

Nick,

I'd just like to offer this suggestion for the new version of GedCom Census.

It would be quite useful if the Flag Check 'error report' could (optionally) be exported to a log file, maybe either text and/or csv format. This could then be used if I want to check each 'error' rather than have my FH data changed automatically.

My particular way of working means that I often set a census flag for a person in advance of using GCC to create the census event, and I don't want the flag undone.

What do others think?

David.

ID:4147
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
siamon
Family Historian: None

Post by siamon »

Is it possible to display icons associated with flags anywhere except for in a chart? I love the feature, and it's actually something I tried to fake in the program I previously used, but would love to be able to see icons say on the focus view, to quickly see interesting items. The layout seems to lend itself to the idea (I could easily see them displayed next to the magnifying glass for example) but don't see any way to actually turn it on.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David:
May I strongly advise that you upgrade to Ancestral Sources the successor to Gedcom Census, which is no longer supported.

Regarding Census Flag Check, the best suggestion I can offer is to take a screen capture of the report.
A useful screen capture application is the Windows Snipping Tool available on all recent versions of Windows except XP.
Google Search for Windows Snipping Tool for Windows 8/7/Vista for more details.

Siamon:
Please post such questions under the V5 Usage Forum.
You cannot add icon flags to the Focus Window, but you can customise the Property Box to show which Flags are set.
One way is to use Tools > Preferences > Property Box > Captions and add %INDI._FLGS%.
This will list the Flags after the Name at the top of the Property Box.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Mike,

Since my original post in 2009(!) I've long since upgraded to Ancestral Sources.

Capturing the screen works, but is a bit agricultural compared to having a text file error report that I can mark up as I check items. If the report can be displayed on the screen it can't be that difficult to write it to a text file (or can it)?

David.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In that case, what I do not understand, is why your thread is titled ... GCC and posted in this GedCom Census Forum instead of the Ancestral Sources Forum?

If you post your wish in the Ancestral Sources Forum, then the author Nick Walker is more likely to notice it and comment on its feasibility.

I agree that a text report is easier to manage, but recent FH features have rendered Census Flags less necessary than they once were.
So the AS Census Flag Check is now almost redundant.
See Using Flags and Icons for an explanation.
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Cos I posted it on 15/11/09 when I was still using GCC!

Now if there was an easy way to change all (a lot) of my flags and icons to the new way of working I'd do it, but it seems to be quite a lot of work.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I did not spot that.
It must have been the siamon posting that flagged it up.