* Create multiple sources for birth

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Simonides
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Create multiple sources for birth

Post by Simonides »

If I create an AS census entry with the age of the subject, FH or AS (not sure which) estimates the birth year and stores it as a source for birth, viewable in the yellow FH 'Show Sources' window.

If I create a census entry for a different census, also containing the age of the subject, or an entry for the 1939 Register which explicitly states the birth date, only that first entry is displayed in that Show Sources window, even though the all censuses / registers can be accessed under 'Notes' so I know that AS has properly transferred these censuses to FH. To add the others to the display I have to Add Citation | Cite Existing Source.

Is there a way to include all the sources that have included a birth year or date in the yellow 'Show Sources' window when 'Born' is selected in FH? This would avoid having to to Add Citation | Cite Existing Source each time.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Create multiple sources for birth

Post by tatewise »

Answering your last question first: if there are multiple Source Citations for any fact such as Birth, then they are all listed in the yellow Sources For pane, and that has always been the case in FH.

Reading between your lines, it sounds as if when you use AS to capture the 2nd and subsequent Census records it does not offer to add a new Source Citation to the Birth event or update the Birth Date & Place with new data.
That depends on your AS option settings. So, in AS Tools > Options > Census settings what is ticked in the Birth Facts section?

See the AS Help for Options - Census Settings and the Birth Facts: description that refers to the Birth Events from Census dialogue that should appear when the Census details are saved and offers all the features you are requesting as shown below.
i.e. It allows Birth Date & Place to be updated and a Citation to be added.

BirthEventsFromCensus.png
BirthEventsFromCensus.png (53.69 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Kai Chandler
Diamond

Re: Create multiple sources for birth

Post by Kai Chandler »

Mike, a big thank you for your prompt support. I checked all the boxes under 'Offer to create birth facts...' and now have it working as I wanted!