* Where Born

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Where Born

Post by Johnr65 »

It would be great if you could add a down arrow for 'where born' on the census templates as most people in a family at the census were born at the same place? Saves a lot of duplicate typing or copying and pasting.
:?:
neil40
Superstar

Re: Where Born

Post by neil40 »

John

Like in FH itself, if you start typing the place, it will try and populate it for you. If it's wrong, just keep typing the place.
Personally, I think if there was a drop arrow, that could be one long list of places potentially, so I think the current method is as quick.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Yes I agree with that but just seems more convenient to have a drop down arrow in my opinion.
Also I wonder if there is a shortcut method of finding most used sources?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But John, how many Place names exist in your Project? ( i.e. How many Place records? )
The down arrow drop list would be hundreds if not thousands of entries of Place names and that would be very difficult to navigate to find the Place you want.

In FH itself, to find the most used Source record, open the Records Window and on the Sources tab click the Citations column header, which gives the number of times the Source record is used.
That information is not directly available in AS.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Johnr65 wrote: 07 Jun 2022 09:26 Yes I agree with that but just seems more convenient to have a drop down arrow in my opinion.
Also I wonder if there is a shortcut method of finding most used sources?
I won't be adding a drop-down list of places for the reason that Mike suggested. Some people have 10s of thousands of place records and it just wouldn't work to have these displayed. However, based on some work I've been doing for the next major version of AS, I do think it would be useful to have a 'fill down' option (similar to the option in Excel) so you could type in the first place, highlight down the column and click 'Fill down' to put the same value into each highlighted cell. This is already on my 'to-do' list.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
harold
Diamond

Post by harold »

NickWalker wrote: 07 Jun 2022 10:26
... it would be useful to have a 'fill down' option (similar to the option in Excel) so you could type in the first place, highlight down the column and click 'Fill down' to put the same value into each highlighted cell. This is already on my 'to-do' list.
That would definitely be a useful feature.
Harold Craswell
Ottawa, Canada
https://www.craswell.ca/
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I think this might actually be what John was originally asking for when he referred to a "down arrow", because he went on to say "..... as most people in a family at the census were born at the same place? Saves a lot of duplicate typing or copying and pasting."
Lorna
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Bear in mind there are similar place names in different parts of the country. As an example there Is Cottingham, East Yorkshire and Cottingham, Northamptonshire. Another example is Scalby, North Yorksire (near Scarborough) and Scalby, East Yorkshire near Gilberdyke

Victor
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

The fill down idea would work. However, I'm not talking about all the places in my tree just the ones in the family censuses on AS; usually most of thechildren are born in the same place....
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Johnr65 wrote: 08 Jun 2022 08:19 The fill down idea would work. However, I'm not talking about all the places in my tree just the ones in the family censuses on AS; usually most of thechildren are born in the same place....
John,
The point is, AS accesses your FH database of places, so whatever you see in FH > Tools > Work with data > Places...
is the list that AS is accessing when you start typing.
This is what Mike (tatewise) was eluding to in his reply, in that this could be 100's or 1000's of entries, and why AS developer Nick has said he won't implement a drop list (which is what I think you requested).
AS or FH doesn't know what exclusively are Census addresses as far as I know. I believe they all get added to the Places list.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Whenever you use a place name make sure it is fully correct including the county name. One problem some places were moved from one county to another when the county boundaries were changed in (I think) 1974.
You will have to decide whether to use the old county name or the new one. You can keep the old county name for those records which happened before 1974 and use the new one post 74.
I prefer to stick to the old county names no matter what year the event occured. I treat them as the original boundary. The revised boundaries are administration counties.
As an example there is Sheffield West Yorkshire. It is now South Yorkshire which didn't exist in old days
Victor
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Would being able to just key " or CTRL+' (as in Excel) to copy the entry from the row above be a viable option?
John Elvin
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

If you were to use a multi-button programmable mouse, copy and paste is very fast and easy.
Trevor Rix
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I've implemented the 'fill down' and therefore this will be in the next version.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Replying to Trevors comment about copy paste. In the current AS version this still needs to be actioned for each individual Place Field. I did request something similar to Nick some time ago. Whereby you copy the first Place entry and then AS allows you to select multiple Place fields in one go to perform the mass Paste.