* Excited to Purchase FH & Happy to Discover AS!

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Chrisv
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Excited to Purchase FH & Happy to Discover AS!

Post by Chrisv »

I have been testing and learning how to use the many features of FH for the last 3 weeks, and today I bit the bullet and purchased the program. It was really, an easy decision to make! FH is far superior to what I was previously using, and the help from this forum has really made it all come together with learning how to best use this program and the different ways of documenting the research.
What made it even sweeter, was that 3 days ago, I cautiously delved into Ancestral Sources; but even though it looks intimidating on the surface, I discovered how easily, and how beautifully these two programs work together!
I know FH probably has had a large influx of new users due to the release of RootsMagic 8 (I am one of them), and I just have to say to any new FH users to also give AS a try. It works very well in tandem with Family Historian for entering data from Vital Records and Censuses!
I found some old training videos made by tatewise that take you step-by-step through the process of entering a Citation and a Baptism in AS. The videos are very short, and you have to watch them in sequence to understand the process, but after watching them, and a little tweaking of the AS options to get it in line with my work approach, I was entering real data by the end of the day, and within a couple days, I have made a custom census template that works perfectly with both AS and FH.
Here's a link for the videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/tatewise/videos

I hope it's okay to toot the FH and AS horn to everybody. I'm just excited to have found Family Historian and especially to have found y'all, and I know I'll still be learning, and hopefully helping others in a bunch of years to come!
ADC65
Superstar

Re: Excited to Purchase FH & Happy to Discover AS!

Post by ADC65 »

Good luck with your new purchase Chris! I'm sure you will soon be a valued contributor to these pages too. Any new product can be a challenge these days due to the years of improvements and add-ons that have happened, but I believe FH will deliver for you. I am a long-term user and never regretted buying or upgrading. Occasionally I have a look at other products but have never found one I like more.

And you are right, Ancestral Sources is an absolute essential in my view. Originally, it only allowed Census entries and I remember how liberating it was just for those, as entering every fact manually soon loses its appeal! Then Nick worked very hard to produce the software we have today and it is a great addition.

Best of luck to you!
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Have you found the KnowledgeBase section on Ancestral sources (including the videos?)

Using Ancestral Sources
Chrisv
Famous

Post by Chrisv »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Satyricon. I still have LOTS to learn - and thanks ColeValleyGirl for pointing out the KnowledgeBase section for AS. I had not seen that. There is a lot a good technical info in there, and that is what I seem to thrive on!
I'm looking forward to developing a custom version of both programs that are set up per My way of working.