* Windows 11 issue?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
neil40
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Windows 11 issue?

Post by neil40 »

Hi,

Since upgrading my PC to Windows 11, I noticed that even though the Title bar in AS shows my project correctly, when I go to add for example a Census entry, when I went to load the image and pick the folder to save in, only 1 of the 3 folders showed.
Also, on the Text: Auto button, there was only one option, a default plain entry.
If I reload the project, it is all fine and as I expect. I just need to remember to load the project back each time so that I get the correct settings/folders/text etc.

Neil
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Windows 11 issue?

Post by tatewise »

Are you absolutely certain that the Project being used initially was your latest current master Project or was it a similarly named Project from somewhere else? That clone may not have as many folders or Auto Text options enabled.

Try opening AS via the Ancestral Sources Data Entry plugin from your current master Project.
That ensures the correct Project is selected by AS.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Completely certain it was the correct Project.
It happens every time I close and re-open AS
The top bar in both cases (when opening AS and after re-loading the project) says
Ancestral Sources v7.2.4 Project: Grantham2012
If I click to reload, there is only one instance of Grantham2012 alongside 3 other projects of different names entirely.

Does the plugin permanently set the project for AS or do I have to run it every time?
Neil Grantham
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Well the plugin certainly cures the issue, and I've used the option to add it to the Tools menu.
Thanks Mike.
Neil Grantham
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I know you are now getting round the problem by using Mike's plugin, but that does suggest that AS was previously opening on the wrong project. When you reloaded the (correct) project into AS did you remember to use File>Current Project is Default before closing AS? If not, it would revert to the 'wrong' project again when you next opened AS.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The AS Open FH Project command will only offer Projects within the current FH Project Location.
i.e. The Projects listed in the FH File > Project Window.

However, AS can use any Project GEDCOM that exists anywhere on any disk drive.
If that Project is set as the current default then AS will always use it when opened directly.
I don't know of any way to determine the full file path of the currently chosen Project in AS.

Using the plugin overrides that default setting and tells AS which Project to use, but does not make it the default.
To achieve that, after running the plugin, use the AS File > Current Project is Default tick option.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote: 22 Oct 2021 16:07 I don't know of any way to determine the full file path of the currently chosen Project in AS.
If you use File>Recent Projects and hover the mouse over each item in the list it shows the full path to each of the recently open projects.

As Mike and I have both said, using File>Current Project is Default after loading the correct project will ensure that AS opens on the right project in future.
Lorna
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

LornaCraig wrote: 22 Oct 2021 16:00 I know you are now getting round the problem by using Mike's plugin, but that does suggest that AS was previously opening on the wrong project. When you reloaded the (correct) project into AS did you remember to use File>Current Project is Default before closing AS? If not, it would revert to the 'wrong' project again when you next opened AS.
Well, I do know it worked fine before I upgraded to Windows 11.
I will try the default project setting and see if that does make a difference.

If it was defaulting to the wrong project, why would it show the correct one on the title bar?
Neil Grantham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Check the File > Recent Projects list and hover to see the full path.

Maybe you have another similarly named Project folder/GEDCOM outside your Family Historian Projects folder.
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

tatewise wrote: 24 Oct 2021 10:06 Check the File > Recent Projects list and hover to see the full path.

Maybe you have another similarly named Project folder/GEDCOM outside your Family Historian Projects folder.
I've just opened AS without firing it up from the FH Tool, and File shows
a) Current Project is Default WAS ticked (I have always used this option to my knowledge)
b) Recent Projects shows the same project twice, in the location I expect for my Projects. (I only ever use the default projects folder)

This didn't resolve the issue.
I checked the Text>Auto button and it only has the one plain option and if I go to load an image to an entry, the Media folder on the location to save the image to shows just one folder and not the 3 that should be there.

I note that when I resolve this, by reloading the project, the 'Current Project is Default' becomes unticked.
I then ticked it, closed AS and re-opened it, and this seems to have corrected the behaviour.
I have closed and opened several times and it is now consistently is correct.

I know it was fine before the upgrade to Win11, so something obviously upset AS, so perhaps this will help others who do the update.
Thanks to Mike and Lorna for the assistance.
Neil Grantham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hmmn! That is odd. I wonder what subtle difference there is between the two identical projects.