* AS census Method 1 New User basic query

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
elricks
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

AS census Method 1 New User basic query

Post by elricks »

I have gone through the census portion of the new user tutorial, and I have watched the AS census youtube clips. I have searched help, and searched the forum (for --- entering text census ---). I cannot for the life of me work out where I enter extra information.

I am exploring the possibility of reentering all my census tags after running a conversion from TMG to FH. My census tags in TMG sometimes use split memos, hence I can see that redoing my tags after import may be necessary. I have opted for Method 1. I also see an added benefit in that it will allow me to revisit all my census entries. I am sure I will make a number of uncoveries.

My very first entry, a simple 1 person household with a young visitor (probably a nurse-child) lead me to a fence I don't seem to be able to clear. I have what in TMG is called a memo that I need to add. I want to record information about (1) an additional person who is not in my database, (2) to refer to discrepancies between the census data and reality, and (3) make note that almost all the people on this one page of the census are close relatives of each other, but listed (correctly) as a number of separate households. I record extra data on at least 25% of my census entries, not just for research purposes, but to make for a more interesting reading experience.

In general, I would prefer to see the note on all people in the household's individual records, but can certainly accept that it may only appear on the head's entry.

My plan is to use Gedsite once I get my data into shape. The audience for the offline website I am planning will NOT have research experience, so a list of bald facts with sources cited that they can check out for themselves does not fit the Bill.

I don't need an involved answer comparing options - as that is what I am working through. I just need to know if it is possible to add additional text to census entries using AS Method 1, and if yes, could you point me to which field I enter it into please.

I feel rather foolish that I can't work it out from the wide range of user assistance there is for AS.

Thanks - Shirley
BillH
Megastar

Re: AS census Method 1 New User basic query

Post by BillH »

Shirley,

I always add this type of information in the Note: field. I have attached a screen shot with the Note: field marked by the red rectangle.

This will be added to the note field of the source. Along with all the rest of the entered information for that census entry, it will be attached via a citation from the source to each individual in the grid.

Bill

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Bill Henshaw
elricks
Platinum

Post by elricks »

Thanks Bill, I assumed a note to the source would only show up in the footnote (where the source is cited).
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Yes, that's correct. I guess I misunderstood your question. I don't know of any way to get it to appear anywhere else. If there is a way, I'm sure Nick or someone else will respond.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
elricks
Platinum

Post by elricks »

Bugger - that really upsets my plans. Getting a memo/note attached to at least head of the house is a MUST for me. Looking at some of the web sites of people who have used FH to collate their data, it appears to me that it is possible to have such a thing, but it is of course possible the databases behind the sites I am looking at were created by another app that actually facilitates the use of notes/memos, and converted to FH later.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Don't give up hope quite yet. :)

There may be a way that I am unaware of. I only add those types of things to the note for the source. Others, especially Nick, may well know of a way that I'm not familiar with. I'd wait for one of them to chime in.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

As Bill mentioned, I'm sure Nick will respond on this if there is a better way.

But for info, I modify the Census template columns where I want specific data to appear in an Individuals Census Fact Note - I use this method to have Relationship to Head of Household, Marital Status and Occupation added to the Individuals Note as I don't want additional Facts being created. You could create another column at the end of the template and add your notes there - if you add the info to each individual in the grid then it could appear in the Note field for each of them (as well as in the Source record). A bit messy but certainly achievable!.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

elricks wrote: 29 Jun 2021 01:02 I want to record information about (1) an additional person who is not in my database, (2) to refer to discrepancies between the census data and reality, and (3) make note that almost all the people on this one page of the census are close relatives of each other, but listed (correctly) as a number of separate households. I record extra data on at least 25% of my census entries, not just for research purposes, but to make for a more interesting reading experience.
As Bill says, the 'correct' place to record that information is in the source note, or perhaps in the source text itself depending on your preferences. The reason that method 1 is recommended is related to the way that GEDCOM information is recorded: if data is written into citations it usually involves the same data being duplicated multiple times. If instead you just put the data in the 'head of household' record then you wouldn't be able to see that information if you were looking at a different person. The beauty of having this data in the source note is that every single person in the household and every fact (census, birth, occupation, etc.) is linked to that source and therefore the note is readily available and crucially not duplicated (so if you need to edit it you only have to do so in place).

So having decided that the source note is the place to record the data, your issue then is how to show that in reports, etc. This is an area that others will be able to advise you about as I don't use reports very often, but as you can see in the image below from a report, the census, birth and occupation facts for Alice have numbered references to two census sources below. I've added an example source note to the 1861 census record so you can see how that appears. Personally I also usually show the source text (the census transcription) and an image too, but haven't done that in this example.
SourceNoteExample.JPG
SourceNoteExample.JPG (81.31 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
I hope this helps

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

From Shirley's other postings it is clear that she is focussing on Narrative Reports.
The memo Note examples she has shown imported from TMG are sentences or phrases that can be embedded into the Census event sentence using the {note} code in the Sentence Template.

So there are a number of options:
  1. Capture the Census details using AS as it is and add the Census event local Note text afterwards using FH.
  2. Modify the AS Census Template with an extra column (as suggested by Brent) to allow different local Note text to be added to the Census event of each person in the household.
  3. Use the Source record Note offered by AS that is cited by each person in the household, and get the Census event Sentence Template to include that Note text in every Census event sentence by using the {%FACT.SOUR>NOTE2%} code.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
elricks
Platinum

Post by elricks »

Thanks everyone, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

To make my focus a bit clearer, I seem to be focusing on the narrative report because that is, so far, the only way I have found to test my input. What I need to achieve at the end of this is -

A way to understand the state of my research into any individual, hopefully by looking at one of the tabs in the records window. In other words using FH as a research tool, not just a means to record data. I want to be able to see what is missing from my data quickly and efficiently. Ideally I want to click on a name on the left, and see something on the right that will tell me at a glance what it is I have not found out yet. I think I will be able to get used to the facts tab or the all tab.

To be able to use the data to produce an interesting web site.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Narrative Report and GedSite strategy is a reasonable way to achieve an interesting website.

Please start a new thread regarding research techniques after reviewing Planning and Tracking Your Research.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry