* Auto text

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Auto text

Post by Johnr65 »

When we fill in the form for say a marriage and then press auto text, where does the text end up after we save the document and exit AS and go to FH7? I wonder as sometimes the old records are not very clear and sometimes I record the wrong name or place-can it be corrected?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Auto text

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

John, look in Text from Source (in the source record if you're a splitter, or it may be in the citation if you're a lumper).
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I'm at confused.com whats a lumper and splitter in these terms?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Splitter = Method 1 of recording sources; Lumper = Method 2

Citing Sources: Method 1 and Method 2

A splitter will typically have many sources (one per household for a census, for example); a lumper will have one source for the census and many citations to it.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

If you're just using the default settings then it will be method 1. So it will be in the source text as Helen said. Ancestral Sources will have created a source for your census record and put the text into that so you can edit that in Family Historian later if need be.

Also please do remember that the 'Auto' button is unlikely to make a perfect transcription of your source document so once you've entered all the data into the various text boxes and auto-text has done the best job it can you'll then edit it manually to match the original before saving it.

So, for example, if a census entry had the occupation as 'Ag Lab', I'd enter that as Agricultural Labourer in the census grid as this is what will end up being recorded in the occupation fact. However, before saving I'd then edit the transcription in the source text box below to change that to Ag Lab to indicate what it actually said on the census record. Similarly with other columns such as 'Place of Birth' which might, for example, say W'ton so I'd enter the place in the usual format I'd use (e.g. Warrington, Lancashire) but in the transcription I'd edit to say W'ton. But it depends how accurate you're trying to make the transcription really.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

Thank you that is very helpful.
:D :D