* FH7 Source Template definitions in AS?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
BEJ
Famous
Family Historian: V7

FH7 Source Template definitions in AS?

Post by BEJ »

BEJ wrote: 27 Mar 2021 22:25 Anyone developing census source template [definitions and autotext] for Swedish parish records?

Swedish clerical records predate civil records, can be incredibly detailed, and are mandatory references for genealogists. Swedish Lutheran Church records date back to medieval times and were conducted annually. All Swedes were required by law to be church members into the 1800s so these "census" records include pretty much all persons in a parish.
I started asking about the above in the general FH thread, and find that Ancestral Sources is key in any progress I may make.

1) If I create (clone) census template definitions in FH, can I use those in AS? The guidance states the Essential collection is imported, but unclear about others.

2) How would I get my custom census templates to appear in the AS drop down?

3) Can I add Sweden to the region drop down list?

I like the FH Advanced collection of templates. If I can’t use those plus my own Custom templates In AS, I may discontinue use of the app. Just want to judge how best to spend my time.
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: FH7 Source Template definitions in AS?

Post by NickWalker »

Yes any source template you create in Family Historian can be imported into AS, it doesn't have to be in the essential collection. The only thing to understand is that AS currently only supports the use of source templates with the default 'method 1' (splitter) sources. Once the source templates have been added into your file in FH you can add AS source template definitions for them using the Tools->Source Template Editor..

You would need to create an AS census template (or perhaps several) using Tools->Census Templates... you could select a similar existing template and then click the Copy button and then create a new template by typing in Sweden as the country at the top and a year (or year description) and click New and then Paste. You can then add/edit/delete columns as required, etc.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

Thanks for the response. I am using method 1 (that is very clear in AS guidance). So are you saying that I need to create the same source definition and source template in both FH and AS?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

No, the source template is created in FH. In AS you simply link to it - so in the Source Template editor you would click on 'New' and then select the template from the list and click Save. So actually it takes just a few seconds to import it. However, the AS Source Template Editor can be used to specify template fields to allow some of the fields to be automatically filled in. So, for example, the Essentials Census source template has these keywords specified:
SourceTemplateExample.PNG
SourceTemplateExample.PNG (7.96 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
It isn't required for keywords to be specified - in that case you would just enter your own data into the template fields each time you create a census entry, but of course it saves time if some of the data is already filled in for you.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
BEJ
Famous

Post by BEJ »

I’ll give it a try. Thanks.