* Odd behaviour with accented characters

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Peter Collier
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Odd behaviour with accented characters

Post by Peter Collier »

This may just be a limitation of the Autotext templates that I need to work round, which I can do. I'm mentioning it here though in case this shouldn't be happening and Nick wants to look into it.

I'm working with a non-QWERTY keyboard (standard German QWERTZ layout to be precise). German-layout keyboards have dead keys for acute, grave and circumflex accents (you type the accent key first, which does nothing by itself, followed by the vowel key. The resultant accented vowel is then inserted).

I'm finding I can create templates with accented characters just fine, but when I go on to save these templates, any words with an accented letter are truncated immediately prior to that letter. For example Siniú, Cáiliocht, agus Ionad Chonaithe an Fháisnéiseora gets mangled to SiniCagus Ionad Chonaithe an Fh
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Odd behaviour with accented characters

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks Peter - there's clearly some work for me to do here. I'll investigate.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Thanks for letting me know about this Peter. It flagged up that the handling of rich text accented and other characters was more complex than I'd accounted for. I'm hoping I've fixed this so can you try out this version and see?

AncestralSources 64 bit v7.2.6

AncestralSources 32 bit v7.2.6
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

With the caveat that I only tested it once, on one record, and the only characters I needed to use were acute accented ones (áéíóú), it appears to be working.

The accented characters appeared in the autotext template in AS correctly and, after saving, the text in FH was also correct. I was using the 64 bit version.
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey