* Person IDs in Ancestral Sources

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
jclifford
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Person IDs in Ancestral Sources

Post by jclifford »

I use AS mainly for censuses using method 1.
In the General Settings I have ticked "Show birth date and ID" on the main screen which results in IDs being shown in the right-hand panel on the AS screen but not in the main part of the screen.

This means that IDs are not saved as part of the citation text/detail.

Is there some way to have IDs saved as an additional column with the other details for each person in a household, or could this behaviour be added as a new feature?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Person IDs in Ancestral Sources

Post by tatewise »

There is a risk with using Record Id because they are not guaranteed to remain the same for every Individual.
It is possible to re-assign Record Id and if Projects are Merged the Record Id will change for the added records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The idea of the source text generated with help by the Auto-text feature is that it helps to create a transcription. So including a column of IDs in there would move away from that concept.

However, if you use FH7 and the Rich Text sources there is an option to include a hyperlink to each individual (Tools->Options->General settings - source text->Hyper link to individual records). This means you can click on the name of anyone in the transcription in FH and it opens up the properties dialog for that person.

CensusRTFHyperlink.PNG
CensusRTFHyperlink.PNG (7.69 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
jclifford
Famous

Post by jclifford »

Thank you for the suggestion Nick, I will try it out.

It sounds ideal for use within FH but might cause problems when I upload my trees to TNG.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Assuming you use the Export Gedcom File plugin to create the GEDCOM for TNG then it will be OK.
There are options to handle Rich Text but whatever you choose the person's names will become plain text.

I have not investigated whether TNG could support any form of hyperlink to each person like FH.
I don't use TNG so rely on feedback from its users.
jclifford
Famous

Post by jclifford »

TNG is good at using hyperlinks but it adds a capital I in front of all incoming person IDs (and F for families I think).

That is one reason why I had to write my own program to create Witness links. I have not investigated whether this could be done in FH using custom IDs.
jclifford
Famous

Post by jclifford »

P.S.

TNG allows the same ID number in separate trees for different people so hyperlinks always have to include a tree number.

I notice that I have been promoted from Diamond to Famous - I hope this is not a code for infamous.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To investigate this further, we need to start a Plugin Discussions thread for Export Gedcom File to TNG hyperlinks...